Stock head gasket on bb

S and SM have a 3 layer (gasket+metal spacer+gasket) head gasket, which gives them their 11.3 CR.  The E has a single layer head gasket, giving it a 12.2 CR.

The cylinderworks kit comes with a Vertex piston and a 3 layer cometic gasket kit to give a final CR of 11.3. Why not use the new gasket instead of reusing the old one?

Sorry I should of explained what I mean better. I've had my bb for a few years and my head gasket has blown so I need a new one but getting a 94mm gasket in UK is a pain so I was hoping maybe I could get away with using a 90mm head gasket as I already have one

2 hours ago, carlspeaky said:

Sorry I should of explained what I mean better. I've had my bb for a few years and my head gasket has blown so I need a new one but getting a 94mm gasket in UK is a pain so I was hoping maybe I could get away with using a 90mm head gasket as I already have one

You can get them off ebay with worldwide shipping

You can get them off ebay with worldwide shipping

I know ye but takes a couple weeks to get here to UK plus they cost a lot more with shipping and tax etc so just wondered if anyone has ever tried a stock size head gasket on a bb because it would so much easier for me if it works

I had a single layer head gasket blow.

With advisement from TT and the mechanic who honed my cylinder, I used a triple layer when rebuilding it.

They said it would be more reliable and less prone to blow.

But what do I know, my bike is down again

I wouldn't do it. It will cause air flow problems within the compustion chamber and very likely glowing metal from the thin metal gasket protruding into the hot chamber.

• Like 4

you can try to search for Athena gasket kit. part number -- ATHENA P400510160002

I have also blown the cometic one in about a year since I'd installed the bb kit. As far as I know lots of folks on LTZs had the same problem. They recommend to go for Athena head gaskets

• Like 1

The issue with Cometic, and it's scary that it's not brought up very often, is the rivets. You have to pay attention that they clear the mating surfaces or it will leak/blow. In all fairness they do tell you to check this in the instructions. I don't know if it affects every DRZ or only a percentage but it was necessary to remove a rivet when I installed my big bore. I have almost 3 seasons on my gasket. It's also been universally accepted by this forum to increase the head bolting torque from the manuals 34 ft-lbs to 43 ft-lbs. I believe Fast Eddie was the 1st to recommend this but I'm not positive.

• Like 2

Thanks for your replies I'll try source an athena gasket. I didn't know about the rivets being a problem on the cometic gaskets. I did torque it to 43 rather than 34, it lasted a few thousand miles before it started to go