sport or utility for rocky technical colorado terrain?

Hey I used to ride dirt bikes years ago and finally am looking to get something to ride again. But I'm looking for something that I can take the wife out on with me....which is why I'm looking at getting a quad instead of a bike because riding a bike with a passenger is a huge pain in the ass. Even though I'd really really love a dirt bike.

I grew up riding dirt bikes and quads on the east coast where the trails are pretty smooth so all the quad riders had sport quads (honda/suzuki 400, raptor, banshee, warrior, etc were all quads the group went through). I live in Denver and would be hitting the colorado trails which can vary from rocky gravel roads to extremely rocky, bowling ball+ sized rocks on slow going trails. So I'm wondering if a 4wd utility quad with independent or solid rear axle would be better than a 2wd sport/trail quad with solid rear axle? Can anyone give any advice/experience/opinions on the trade offs? Will I hate my life if I get a honda 400ex instead of a true utility quad? I'd rather get something more sporty, but if riding somewhat rocky trails with a 110lb passenger on that back is going to bounce us to death it probably isn't worth it. If it will still be enjoyable on a 400ex or raptor or something similar, I'm all game!

Thanks!

We have a couple Raptor 700's. we don't ride double too often though, those stock shocks are not built for that. But you can enjoy the ride with all the available power. Honda made a 700xx for a couple years with independent suspension, tons of ground clearance compared to a Raptor. I think the most comfortable experience for doubling up would be the Polaris 2up. The rear seat has handles, suspension on the seat. Buddy had one, quite an awesome machine.