Colorado plate questions?

Going out to Silverton in the end of August for a 4 day ride. I have a GasGas 200 but no plates. We are going to stay in the Silverton area. We don't plan on anymore road riding than what is necessary to connect trails. The 4 other bikes are plated so no worries for them. 

Im just wondering if I will get ticketed for my bike? I would rather ride mine then rent one like I did last year, but if it's will cause me too much grief then I will rent again. 

Thoughts?

ride mid pack while on pavement, and don't draw attention to yourself- I believe you'll be fine. Is it legal? no. If you play the responsible part you very likely won't have an issue. 

• Like 1

That is what I am thinking. I have no urge to act like a fool on pavement or in a town. I do that quiet well off road! My show off days are long behind me! 

Silverton allows OHVs to drive right through town.  Lake City same deal.  Ouray not allowed, but dont draw attention to yourself.  Telluride, sneak the back way from Black Bear to Imogene and you can get away with it.  Anytime you go on the US or Colorado State highways you are subject to jurisdiction by Colorado State Patrol so avoid that where possible but CSP has a whole lot of territory to cover and not enough resources.

Silverton and Lake City have figured out their bread and butter is OHV crowd and cities and counties within Colorado are able to designate that OHV vehicles are allowed or (not allowed) on city streets and county roads.  Grand Lake is the same deal in wintertime.  Place is dead and they let snowmobiles ride through town (at least when streets are snowpacked).

Thanks for the info. We are staying in Silverton every night so it will be day rides from there. 

Any suggestions for single track? We rode the same area last year and found some good trails, but a lot of 2 track and jeep trails. 

Will the trails be clogged with riders with it being Labor Day weekend?

I would if it was worth it for me. The riding areas I have in my region are so far spread out it's not. Plus my 12 year old might get hassled by the cops on his crf100! 

Watching this thread. Been there in my jeep a few times and didn't see any single track. Saw 1 trail on the map south of Lake city that says moto only.

On 7/19/2017 at 6:59 PM, Jtl13 said:

Thanks for the info. We are staying in Silverton every night so it will be day rides from there. 

Any suggestions for single track? We rode the same area last year and found some good trails, but a lot of 2 track and jeep trails. 

Will the trails be clogged with riders with it being Labor Day weekend?

Go up and over Stony Pass and ride Pole Creek Trail to West Lost Creek Trail, then head back up and over Stony Pass.  Pole Creek is all single track.  West Lost Creek is ATV width, but no jeeps on it.  Head over Ophir Pass and up and over Lizard Head.  There's more single track than you could ride in a month over on the other side of Lizard Head Pass.  No crowds either.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I will be getting some trail maps and will definitely check those out. 

Jtl13,

a couple of comments.  If you are riding with a 12 year old on a CRF100F, I suspect the most single track will be too challenging unless he is an exceptional rider.

Nonetheless, you can look on the Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs) at this link (scroll down to the bottom for MVUMs):

http://www.staythetrail.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=266593&module_id=224600

Specifically you want to look at the PDFs for :

San Juan National Forest Columbine Ranger District, Delores Ranger District and Pagosa Ranger District.

In addition, take a look at the MVUMs for Uncompahgre National Forest in the Plateau Division and the Mountain Division.  The singletrack that I think your 12 year old can do are in the southern Uncompahgre plateau southwest of Montrose and overlooks the Sneffels Range.  There is also some single track/ATV east of Ridgway (be warned that Nate's Creek and Lou Pass are pretty tough).  The singletrack down by Rico/Delores that someone mentioned above are way too tough (in my opinion - at least the stuff that I have ridden).

I do see a singletrack trail (number 509) just west of Silverton that goes to Columbine Lake that might we worth trying to see if that is even something to be done with your 12 year old (San Juan National Forest Columbine Ranger District MVUM).  I have not been on it- so no information as to whether that is a good idea/bad idea and even representative of singletrack in that area in general but its close to where you are staying.

The MVUM is the official guide to where you can ride in National Forest (does not include BLM lands of which are plentiful down in the San Juans as well). They indicate on the map those motorized single tracks as well as the OHV trails that are less than 50" wide (e.g. ATVs and some small side by sides). 

Having ridden in the San Juans with my kids I think there are a whole bunch of challenging 4WD roads that would test their skills and give them unprecedented views of some pretty special scenery such as Corkscrew Gulch, Picayune Gulch, California Gulch, Hurricane Pass, Red Mountain Mining area/Ironton, Kendall Mountain, Mineral Creek, Cinnamon Pass, Stony Pass, Engineer Pass, Imogene Pass, Ophir Pass, Porphyry Gulch, Governors Basin, Yankee Boy Basin, Black Bear Pass (beware of the front side/face).  I would not recommend Poughkeepsie Gulch).

While the MVUMs are the official motorized travel guides, they arent all that user friendly and a lot of people use the National Geographic or Latitude 40 maps and consult with the MVUM to ensure they are still open to motorized travel.  In addition, I really like the FunTreks 4WD/ATV/OHV guides.  Very easy to use and show easy, med, hard, extreme with obstacles noted on them as well as which roads allow OHV travel (e.g. non plated).

Have fun and enjoy your trip.  You will see some of the best Colorado has to offer

Edited by SilvFx
  • Like 1

Sorry for the confusion silvfx . I was commenting back to snowmule about the getting plates for my bike. My son will not get to go on this trip. It will be over his abilities. 

I greatly appreciate all the information that has been given!

19 hours ago, Jtl13 said:

Sorry for the confusion silvfx . I was commenting back to snowmule about the getting plates for my bike. My son will not get to go on this trip. It will be over his abilities. 

I greatly appreciate all the information that has been given!

aaah....ok that makes sense.  Plenty of singletrack opportunities marked on the MVUMs that I referenced.  Just gotta dig through them and come up with riding plans.  The only thing that I will note is you guys may want to do a 4WD road day for sightseeing and take a break from the singletrack pounding or you may not last the 4 days of riding. 

We have had success with riding through towns where we put plated bikes in the front and back of group and leave the unplated guys in the middle of the pack.  Drove right past a CSP officer coming down into Ouray and figured he might notice and follow our unplated rider.  We moved quickly past and didn't draw attention to ourselves and he didn't come after us.

One other thing that i will tell you is we are constantly overestimating how much singletrack we can ride in a day based on how much distance we typically cover on 4WD type of roads.  Sometimes we have spent 4-5 hours covering 12-15 miles of singletrack.  Hopefully all of your group are pretty good riders and have similar riding abilities otherwise singletrack excursions can get derailed quickly if there is lot of pushing/pulling, backtracking and helping others.  At high altitude that can wear your pretty out quickly...and then the stupid mistakes start happening further derailing the progress.  You may initially map out a singletrack loop you plan to take but weather and difficulty can derail that plan, so be sure that you have a Plan A, Plan B and Plan C.  You should also make sure everyone carries a map just in case someone gets lost or offtrack.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.  Will share if I have been on the trail or if if I have no experience.  I think you may find there is some reluctance to share trail information freely on the internet that will be out there forever.

The Stony Pass/Pole Creek/W Lost ride suggested by JoeTroop is super Sweet and has a bit of everything.