CR 125 1981 Tming

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the timing on a 1981 CR125 Honda (Engine model JE01E). The bike is not starting and thats the only thing that I have not fixed yet. The more detailed the better, because its my first bike and I am a total newbie. Thanks :)

13 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Rare machine  :thumbsup:

The flywheel key hasnt sheared off has it ?

I wish it was not rare! No info on it. 

The key has not sheared off :(

I pulled the cover of the flywheel today. Correct me if I am wrong but when the piston is at top dead center (as in the picture) the "T" marker on the flywheel should line up with the mark on the body? If so can I just rotate the body till they line up? 

20170719_203030.jpg

18 minutes ago, MMike said:

I pulled the cover of the flywheel today. Correct me if I am wrong but when the piston is at top dead center (as in the picture) the "T" marker on the flywheel should line up with the mark on the body? If so can I just rotate the body till they line up? 

20170719_203030.jpg

You might have better luck with this in the vintage forum as those guys are more knowledgable about the older stuff.

Since it won't start you can do the following to check the timing. Remove the spark plug from the head and put it back into the boot and ground it as if you are checking for a spark. Connect your timing light as normal. Using a drill with a socket, spin the engine (in the correct direction) at the flywheel and check the timing. Make sure the spark plug is grounded or it will not fire. It can be adjusted by loosening the two lock bolts on the stator plate and rotating it.