Oil debate: The video

2 hours ago, MotoTribology said:

Well if anything is going to convince you, I suppose a "test" from 30 years ago displaying a scenario that has no correlation to engine operation is as good as anything else.

And what "modern" proof do you have to refute the effectiveness of Mobil 1 or synthetics in general? My proof (and convincing) is 30 years in all my vehicles, in all my friends vehicles, my dad's vehicles, and the list goes on. No engine failures, great compression at over 100K miles. No sludge or heavy residues. "No correlation to engine operation"? Really, if you think oil does not have an effect on engine operation, and considering that synthetics are the choice of many experts with the proven reliability,  then you must live in a state that allows legal use of pot, and frequent use. That comment is laughable.

Edited by HomerDodd

1 minute ago, HomerDodd said:

And what "modern" proof do you have to refute the effectiveness of Mobil 1 or synthetics in general? My proof (and convincing) is 30 years in all my vehicles, in all my friends vehicles, my dad's vehicles, and the list goes on. No engine failures, great compression at over 100K miles. No sludge or heavy residues. "No correlation to engine operation"? Really, if you think oil does not have an effect on engine operation, and that synthetics are the choice of many experts with the proven reliability,  then you must live in a state that allows legal use of pot, and frequent use. That comment is laughable.

Im sure there are other tests, not made in a fryin pan, that shows fully synthetic being best choice. All he did was saying that method doesnt match what is going on inside the engine.

• Like 2

Just now, Wessmen said:

Im sure there are other tests, not made in a fryin pan, that shows fully synthetic being best choice. All he did was saying that method doesnt match what is going on inside the engine.

He actually said "no correlation to engine operation", which is not completely accurate. An engine get close to as hot as a frying pan; maybe not the exact temperature, but still similar. However, we are in agreement that synthetics are the best.

4 minutes ago, HomerDodd said:

He actually said "no correlation to engine operation", which is not completely accurate. An engine get close to as hot as a frying pan; maybe not the exact temperature, but still similar. However, we are in agreement that synthetics are the best.

Yes, but Im guessing that the constant flowing of oil and all parts rotating in it actually does something to the oil. Still, I think synthetic is the best. 

@HomerDodd

You read much into my comment that was not there.

I never said synthetics weren't a good choice. Just that the reason for arriving at that conclusion is.....perhaps not all that valid.

Oil is extremely crucial to engine operation. It is just that burning a film of oil in a frying pan has nothing to do with what happens in an internal combustion engine aside from the existence of both oil and heat in the both situations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

Not all of us agree. All synthetics are not equal in performance. Blanket statements are never correct. Never. 

Doesn't matter if you agree or not. There is so much more research out there (besides my very old and basic Mobil 1 video) that shows synthetics are superior. But go ahead and use the oil that best works for you; sludge, deposits and all.......................

Edited by HomerDodd

35 minutes ago, MotoTribology said:

@HomerDodd

You read much into my comment that was not there.

I never said synthetics weren't a good choice. Just that the reason for arriving at that conclusion is.....perhaps not all that valid.

Oil is extremely crucial to engine operation. It is just that burning a film of oil in a frying pan has nothing to do with what happens in an internal combustion engine aside from the existence of both oil and heat in the both situations.

I did not read anything into your statement; simply refuted what you had written. The point of the video was to show the oil flow under heat, and the video accomplished that in simplest terms. The temperatures may be slight different, but the point remains that heat can break down conventional oil quicker and easier than the synthetic.

1 hour ago, Old School Al said:

On the flip side, I believe one may be able to test cooking oils by running them in a motorcycle engine......................?     :thinking:.........?

Old School Al

Maybe. They use rats and rabbits to test chemicals that people need to survive.......

7 minutes ago, HomerDodd said:

I did not read anything into your statement; simply refuted what you had written. The point of the video was to show the oil flow under heat, and the video accomplished that in simplest terms. The temperatures may be slight different, but the point remains that heat can break down conventional oil quicker and easier than the synthetic.

Seems like you've got it all figured out then.

Happy riding. :ride:

3 hours ago, HomerDodd said:

And what "modern" proof do you have to refute the effectiveness of Mobil 1 or synthetics in general? My proof (and convincing) is 30 years in all my vehicles, in all my friends vehicles, my dad's vehicles, and the list goes on. No engine failures, great compression at over 100K miles. No sludge or heavy residues. "No correlation to engine operation"? Really, if you think oil does not have an effect on engine operation, and considering that synthetics are the choice of many experts with the proven reliability,  then you must live in a state that allows legal use of pot, and frequent use. That comment is laughable.

Actually, I've seen the very exact same results from many types of engines using non synthetic oils...........some engines used in very extreme conditions.  :excuseme: 

Old School Al

All I know is I ran Semi-Syn in my XR100 (150cc) once. It killed my clutch (5 disc).  I sold the rest of the case to my friend and it had no issues in his CRF250. I run full synthetic in my truck and in the engine side of my CRF150RB, but I will never again use anything but GN3, Rotella, or similar in my XR100. 

Edited by socalxr
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, HomerDodd said:

I ran Chevron Delo in a lot of cars/PUs to between 200k and 250k miles before selling and none used oil between changes. My current car has used only the mfg synthetic oil and it is at 160k miles and no oil consumption.

Most major oils have spec sheets that list things like; viscosity at 40C & 100C, HTHS at 150C, viscosity index, low pour point, flash point, etc. And the there are differences between synthetics but they are in general superior to conventional oils.  The additive package also has  an impact on performance and there are competing industry standards and legislative requirements that also influence an oil's performance. 

• Like 2