thinking about a 390?

Thinking about getting a new 390  how much lighter and less fatiguing then my 2014 520 will it really feel?  I'm just not into big and heavy any more, the 520 is a great bike, but I guess I'm still looking for that 2 stroke light weight, nimble feel, but with a 4t engine and street legal plate:goofy:

54 minutes ago, rocky4by said:

Thinking about getting a new 390  how much lighter and less fatiguing then my 2014 520 will it really feel?  I'm just not into big and heavy any more, the 520 is a great bike, but I guess I'm still looking for that 2 stroke light weight, nimble feel, but with a 4t engine and street legal plate:goofy:

Man, you're speaking my language!  That's exactly where I was at.  I've been on 2 strokes mostly for the past 13 years.  Many years on 200's and 300's. I picked up a KTM 525 to add to the mix to have the plate and I put 1500 miles of woods riding on it.  It worked fine, but was definitely tiring in technical terrain. 

Last month, I pulled the trigger on a new Beta 390 rrs.  What an amazing bike. Feels extremely nimble and you can easily change lines.  I find it less tiring to ride than my 2-strokes.  It's so easy to ride.  Here's my latest ride with comments regarding motor, handling, suspension. Hope this helps.

Do it. I have yet to hear about a disappointed 390 owner (I just jinxed myself didn't I). I had rider of 500s bike tell me that they'd be quite fine with it. Bike feels like big bore with the weight of a small bore.

Thanks for the replies, also great information and video firffighter, that alone helps me make up my mind?.  I know a shop that still has 2 20017's 390's left, or do I wait for the 2018 to come out? 

1 hour ago, rocky4by said:

Thanks for the replies, also great information and video firffighter, that alone helps me make up my mind?.  I know a shop that still has 2 20017's 390's left, or do I wait for the 2018 to come out? 

Whenever I'm on a group ride and swap with an RR390 I just want to stay on it for the rest of the ride....but the owners ALWAYS want to swap back as soon as possible, regardless of which bike Im riding (RR250/300/XT/430/480 or Other) ?

Wait a bit longer for the 18s...I reckon it will be worth it....and don't waver off the 390.....commit and put a deposit down with your dealer

Edited by Roon
additional comments
  • Like 1

I wouldn't wait. The 390 isn't going to change enough to make any real difference..and it will drop the kick-starter for weight savings. Why wait when you can ride, break it in, and tweak it to your riding style and terrain?  Who knows...a large meteor could crash into earth at any time, destroying all life as we know it... and you...yes you...would leave this world thinking "I really should have bought that '17 390....."

• Like 3

If I were wanting a new RR-S, I would try and wait for the 2018's as the 8lbs or so of weight savings is pretty decent, along with all the other changes/upgrades.  

As the OP already has a bike, waiting for another one is not as bad as having nothing, like I did back in December when I decided to put in a BYOB for a 17 500 RR-S.  

Ah the old age question!

If you can wait, then yes the '18 is improved (except for the kickstarter, its up to you ).

If there is a '17 and '18 both on the floor, my pref is for the '18.

If you can't wait or are without a bike, '17 and never look back.

If I were wanting a new RR-S, I would try and wait for the 2018's as the 8lbs or so of weight savings is pretty decent, along with all the other changes/upgrades.  
As the OP already has a bike, waiting for another one is not as bad as having nothing, like I did back in December when I decided to put in a BYOB for a 17 500 RR-S.  

8lbs primarily from removing the kick starter and adding a lithium battery.

I'd get the 17' (especially if discounted in his case), have the kick starter, and spend $80 for a lithium battery to shave the 4 lbs.
  • Like 4

Please be aware that the use of a Beta Brand 390 motorcycle will also, much like putting on a suit or a stetson, growing a "Burt Reynolds mustache" or spending forty years of your life as a "horse whisperer" significantly increase your attraction for the opposite sex (or the same, it's fairly universal to be frank).  This can be a real issue if you have a jealous wife or want fewer people to accost you at random trying to talk to you about what kind of bike you have and how they're thinking about buying one but can't because they'll kill themselves.   Just some food for thought.  Good luck either way on your decision!

• Like 3

Thanks, I've been dealing with that for years. I finally started bringing a small folding table and established a regimen of thirty minutes before my ride and thirty after for signing autographs.  Being consistent has helped but there are always a few ladies who never seem to be satisfied. Just have to draw the line somewhere.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

What would be a reasonable price discount  off a '17 390 over an '18?

The 17s are sold out or nearly so ... plus you've got to account for the kickstarter on the 17 ?

I just shipped a 300RE to Texas ... I'm sure we could get a 390 down that way as well. Printed manual too.

Edited by motoxgiant
  • Like 2

WOW you guys are great here on the Beta board, humor is top notch?, always fast to respond to others posts, and help with any question. I will be going with the 390 just so I can hang out here?  The 2018 model will still take a kick starter if I read things right?  The photo I attached is of my son and I at the this past baja 500 we are now getting ready for the 50th baja 1000 this November, Just thought I would throw something different in here for you guys today.

ac_17score_baja500_06.png

• Like 5

Worked chase for a friends motorcycle run during the 40th Anniversary - great experience, Ensenada to Cabo that year. First time in Mexico and came away with positive experience, especially the people. It was like it was a national holiday for them, best part was our team came away with a 4th in Sportsman 450 plus.

• Like 1