cobdr Best time of year for the Colorado BDR?

So, me and my riding buddies all have officially stamped wife passes to ride the Colorado BDR next summer.  That said, what week is the ideal time of the year, all things considered? I lived in Colorado for a few years, so I know the weather can change on a dime. But, I still have to solidify some dates, so I'd rather do so with input from the smart people here. My biggest worry is being in the high country during a wicked lightening storm. I know getting struck is rare, but still something to consider. Like anyone, hoping for mild nights and not too much heat during the day. But then again, I now live in Florida, so not sure heat will be an issue.

http://ridebdr.com/COBDR

Early August. afternoon thunderstorms are a given, and lightning is always a possibility. at high elevations heat is not an issue by Florida standards. Some passes like Black Bear, Engineer, Imogene, etc. STILL have significant snow drifts but are clear to pass through as of this week. 

Early August is a great time to not be in Florida. LOL

• Like 1

Just now, redhurricane said:

Early August. afternoon thunderstorms are a given, and lightning is always a possibility. at high elevations heat is not an issue by Florida standards. Some passes like Black Bear, Engineer, Imogene, etc. STILL have significant snow drifts but are clear to pass through as of this week. 

Early August is a great time to not be in Florida. LOL

Yeah, about that time of year I'm happy to see cooler weather. I too was thinking the first week in August. We'll be on 690s and 701s, so even a little snow wouldn't likely be an issue.

4 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

So, me and my riding buddies all have officially stamped wife passes to ride the Colorado BDR next summer.  That said, what week is the ideal time of the year, all things considered? I lived in Colorado for a few years, so I know the weather can change on a dime. But, I still have to solidify some dates, so I'd rather do so with input from the smart people here. My biggest worry is being in the high country during a wicked lightening storm. I know getting struck is rare, but still something to consider. Like anyone, hoping for mild nights and not too much heat during the day. But then again, I now live in Florida, so not sure heat will be an issue.

http://ridebdr.com/COBDR

Bryan since you are the man at TT....will let you in on the goods.  3rd week of September/possible 4th week of September.  Crowds are gone.  Cool nights.  Aspens are changing.

Cant go wrong anytime after mid-late July.  Daily afternoon thunderstorms are a possibility anytime in the summer.  The risk lessens a bit after August.

Hit us up before you go next year as there are several note-able other passes that can be added to your route especially in the Crested Butte/Taylor Park and San Juan portions.

Edited by SilvFx
  • Like 1