Anyone camp on multi-day rides? If so, what do you use for a tent? Looking for a very light weight, durable, easy set up, take down tent for a 5 night/6day, 675 mile ride. Prefer something with a floor too. Any recommendation?

Hi Brian

think light-weight backpacking when you're researching.  My recommendation is a Big Agness Fly Creek - there's a 1 person version and 2 person version of this tent - both weigh about 2lbs or less and don't take much room.  Disadvantage to light weight tents is a little more vulnerable but you can mitigate that by getting a footprint close enough to fit it that is not lightweight, so you don't have to worry about real rough surfaces damaging tent floor.  If you plan to store any gear in tent get the 2man version.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/117910/big-agnes-fly-creek-ul2-mtnglo-tent?CAWELAID=120217890003588880&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=16301317480&CATCI=aud-87986356584:pla-283613320972&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|404_30399|1179100001|none|e0390499-5e04-48ff-a76a-e98c60c60e09|aud-87986356584:pla-283613320972&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA_Google_LIA|404_30399|1179100001|none|e0390499-5e04-48ff-a76a-e98c60c60e09|aud-87986356584:pla-283613320972&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0vaxoomW1QIVFoGzCh2CBwI5EAQYAyABEgLcz_D_BwE

• Like 2

I have a REI quarter dome 2 person. I've camped a lot and in heavy rain. It has been perfect. One thing to consider is the lighter the less durable, typically. For the money, I recommend an Alps Mountaineering Taurus-AL.

http://www.campsaver.com/alps-mountaineering-taurus-2-tent-2-person-3-season

Check Alps out for $90 on sale at campsaver.com with free footprint.

https://www.rei.com/product/110819/rei-co-op-quarter-dome-2-tent

$349 for REI quarter dome

• Like 2

DPG's recommendation for REI tent good - I have the half dome 2 that I use for street motorcycle riding - when packed it weighs about 4lbs but very sturdy and has plenty of room to store gear inside; easier than my Big Ag Fly to set up.  You save some space and weight by not using the sacks tents come in.  It is larger though.  I used a quarter dome once but didn't like it because of condensation - that was a few years ago so they may have made a design change that minimized that.  

Edited by flemmings27
Added some info

DPG's recommendation for REI tent good - I have the half dome 2 that I use for street motorcycle riding - when packed it weighs about 4lbs but very sturdy and has plenty of room to store gear inside; easier than my Big Ag Fly to set up.  You save some space and weight by not using the sacks tents come in.  It is larger though.  I used a quarter dome once but didn't like it because of condensation - that was a few years ago so they may have made a design change that minimized that.  

No condensation in mine. It's a couple years old. All mesh on top now. Actually it vents well. One problem is the thin material makes a crinkle noise every time I turn over at night. Doesn't bother me but friends comment from time to time.

I'm into ultralight backpacking and use the same gear ADVtouring - my favorite is a floorless 'mid' (pryamid) tent with inner 'nest' (floored net tent) and tyvek footprint from the cottage industry companies Six Moon Designs or Mountain Laurel Designs.  Also have a BA Fly Creek UL2 that's now collecting dust as the mid significantly outperforms it every way except for pitching on man-made/solid surfaces (mids are not free standing).

just so you guys know...REI actively spends money to shut down orv riding areas. So your REI money indirectly goes towards shutting down more riding.

• Like 4

You generally either get durable OR lightweight. Of course, there are more or less durable lightweight tents, but nearly all ultralight gear needs to be treated with care.

I use a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 and it's exceptionally light. It's like unwrapping saran wrap when you unpack it, and it's delicate as far as tents go, but I've used it in the dead of winter, rain, sun and it's a great setup.

Hyperlite Mountain Gear has some great gear - not cheap but tough and light.

https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/

I use the 3400 Windrider pack for winter camping and it's very well-made. Their shelters come well recommended but I don't have personal experience with them.

A simple tub, tarp & sleeping pad make for a lightweight, compact and cheap setup too.

Kelly TrailRidge2 is a great lightweight tent for camping with the bike. Packs up small, has 2 foyers and a tub floor. I do use the footprint with the tent. I like that it is a full mesh tent without the fly. Never get any condensation inside it. I've been using this tent for 4 years and it's still like new.

I am into lightweight backpacking as well as riding. My backpacking tent is a NEMO Blaze 2. It is fantastic. However for my riding trips I use a walmart tent. Couple pounds won't matter that much and i don't want to ruin an expensive tent with a fall or mishap.

Plus I also carry a blow up thick mattress from walmart. Backpacking its an ultra lightweight sea-to-summit pad.

• Like 1

Yeah, some of these tents are crazy priced! I'm sure they're good, but just too much for my needs & budget. I doubt I'll spend more than 200.00 bucks for as infrequent as I'll use one anyway. And, I'm going top pick up a hammock anyway. Between the two, I should be good.

21 hours ago, rockremoval said:

Thx for the link! My ride isn't until next summer, so lots of time to look at options.

There are a lot of option. Just make sure it has a full fly. Thats what my cheapie from walmart does. Honestly how often are you going to use it? How remote will you be? I chose the walmart tent basically because it had a full fly and was cheap. It kept the rain out. But also we passed a walmart several times a day in our trip. If I needed something I could go get it.

Eureka makes a nice tent. If you want a little nicer tent go to a backpacking/outdoor store. They will be very helpful.

5 hours ago, hadfield4wd said:

There are a lot of option. Just make sure it has a full fly. Thats what my cheapie from walmart does. Honestly how often are you going to use it? How remote will you be? I chose the walmart tent basically because it had a full fly and was cheap. It kept the rain out. But also we passed a walmart several times a day in our trip. If I needed something I could go get it.

Eureka makes a nice tent. If you want a little nicer tent go to a backpacking/outdoor store. They will be very helpful.

http://ridebdr.com/COBDR

It has to last at a min. for this ride. Anything longer is bonus. 

I've got nothing but praise for my REI Half Dome. Right at your budget, high quality, lightweight (5-ish lbs). Spacious for one plus two vestibules (keep gear out of rain). Plus, it will serve you well if you ever go backpacking or camping with a (close) friend. Great tents. Easy setup. Free standing.

• Like 1