08 CRF450R Weighted Flywheel options... ?

So I've got an 08 450R that I'm going to be setting up for the woods,.. and I know, I know.. GET A REKLUSE! ...but I don't think I can afford it right now but I still would like a weighted flywheel to help out in general.

I will most likely add some lights as some of the places require them to ride on the roads after dark, and trail tech offers the weighted flywheel kit w/ 70 Stator and everything - so I'm thinking this might be the best option - $350'ish (?)  BUT,.. I see that TMV offers a flywheel weight for like 105.00 that would get me by until I can get the trail tech and Rekluse? -

The bike has a Hinson Complete kit on it now

Any info or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

I put a Trail Tech +13oz. on mine. Personally, I don't like the idea of adding a weight, rather have a 1 piece unit. Glad to see you got the '08. Definitely get the flywheel puller for Honda or you'll f-up the oil inlet.

Edited by drumiv

Thanks for the reply! I was actually going to try and pull the trigger on this set up today. I'm going to go with the package deal with the 70W lighting stator and batter... Eventually I'll want to run some lights,.. and I may want to add a cooling fan as well.

Thanks!

You're going to want to run something, anything with that lighting stator. Some of those actually over drove the ECUs because the magnets are so strong that they caused a problem unless you were running lighting. Trail tech may have worked this out, but if you suddenly end up where the thing quits for no reason, that maybe your problem. I think what happens is the flywheel over drives the stator and the extra power overwhelms the factory voltage regulator.

Its just a heads up.

• Like 1

Shawn - yeah, I talked to Trail tech about it,.. he didn't say anything about messing up the ECU or anything, but that it could cause the battery to fail prematurely (?) ... they recommended running "Something" on it to draw some current. I may start looking for a 450X headlight/number plate,.. I need to research a super low profile add on brake light that I can put on an MX rear fender as well (?)

Thanks

Rick