'09 CRF 250R starting issues

Hello everyone,
I recently purchased an '09 250R. The previous owner did tell me it was previously rebuilt. The bike has great compression the timing and valves are all up to spec but it doesn't start when hot and VERY difficult when cold. It seems to idle high and after I get it running (20-30 kicks cold) if not more, it heats up and is seemingly impossible to start again. The overflow does leave a puddle of gas about 20 kicks in (may be usual, still learning this bike). When running it rips and seems to idle fine for awhile then it comes back up again. I'm not sure if this could be contributing to something but it does seem to heat up a lot over a short period of time. Again the timing and shim sizes are all up to spec and I'm running out of options at this point I'm trying to avoid sending it to a mechanic (very expensive) but I will if necessary.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Since you mention the gas overflows, I'd confirm the carburetor's float height is set properly.

When was it last rebuilt (sellers tend to under estimate true hours since...)

and, what was replaced or refurbished ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mlatour said:

Since you mention the gas overflows, I'd confirm the carburetor's float height is set properly.

When was it last rebuilt (sellers tend to under estimate true hours since...)

and, what was replaced or refurbished ?

Thanks for responding,

I'm not sure how many hours are on the rebuild. I can tell you it looks very clean underneath the valve cover and everything seems to be in place. From what the previous told me it had a complete rebuild top and bottom end. I paid a little too much for the bike, but before we got in there and reshimmed it started much easier. As far as I can tell the timing and shim size is correct. 

Edited by motorlife

While you're checking the float's height, also confirm the fuel inlet needle and it's seat aren't worn or have any gunk stuck on that might prevent a tight seal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlatour said:

While you're checking the float's height, also confirm the fuel inlet needle and it's seat aren't worn or have any gunk stuck on that might prevent a tight seal.

Will do, could it be a jetting issue? It has pro circuit slip ons.

but before we got in there and reshimmed it started much easier. As far as I can tell the timing and shim size is correct. 

What are the actual clearances for each valve? This quote tells me something may have been measured wrong. Check that float height too, you shouldnt be dripping gas.

I wouldnt think it jetting related if it got worse and you didnt change any of them.

Ill throw this out there too. I know quite a few people who have these early crf250s and they all seem to say it needs a certain starting procedure. Mine is choke on, one slower kick then bring it to tdc(right after the decompressor click), one twist of the throttle to prime it, then a full kick. Before I had that worked out it could be a PITA to start sometimes.

46 minutes ago, CRFRida1605 said:

What are the actual clearances for each valve? This quote tells me something may have been measured wrong. Check that float height too, you shouldnt be dripping gas.

I wouldnt think it jetting related if it got worse and you didnt change any of them.

Ill throw this out there too. I know quite a few people who have these early crf250s and they all seem to say it needs a certain starting procedure. Mine is choke on, one slower kick then bring it to tdc(right after the decompressor click), one twist of the throttle to prime it, then a full kick. Before I had that worked out it could be a PITA to start sometimes.

Intake is .006 exhaust is .011 (which is factory spec I believe) . I will update later about float height when I get into it. 

Just now, motorlife said:

I'll have to try this method later. I've used similar methods with no luck but I suppose its worth a shot.

I'll have to try this method later. I've used similar methods with no luck but I suppose its worth a shot.

Every crf is different in that aspect. You just have to find the right combination. My 06 crf250 likes 3-5 quick primer pumps, one slow kick to cycle the engine, find Tdc, no choke (if really warm outside), and give it no throttle and a nice powerful kick. Usually fires in 1-2 kicks.

No throttle is important when starting most carb's four strokes. If you give it gas like a two-stroke, it will flood. Atleast in my experience. And my crf is a pain to get started when flooded. Haha I'm already winded before getting into the track when it does that.

No throttle is important when starting most carb's four strokes. If you give it gas like a two-stroke, it will flood. Atleast in my experience. And my crf is a pain to get started when flooded. Haha I'm already winded before getting into the track when it does that.

For sure, I put my hand on the master cylinder when kicking to avoid it flooding. If it does, I just walk away because Im not exhausting myself before I even start riding.