Has riding gear hit a wall?

IMO, gear like jerseys and pants have become stagnant yes. They all run the same colors for the most part. On that, it really just comes down to fit and how well made it is. Example, in my experience some brands pants fit knee braces better than others and some brands jerseys run longer to stay tucked in. Also seems that some of the more "entry level" stuff is every bit as well made as the higher $$ stuff with some companies.

Safety riding gear wise I think continues to get better though. Helmets and boots as an example seem light years better than they were 10 years ago. And goggles? Some brands just fit my face better than others so there is that too. 

2 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

An UGLY WALL! Gets worse every year.

Bring back the early 90's neon colors! Oh wait.....they really have. 

• Like 5

My old gear that I still have as a backup is my all time favorite.  It is 10 year or so old Thor Phase.  Toughest and most comfortable ever.  The new stuff just doesn't seem to be made as well.  Heck, even Klim is now made in China (but they still charge the made in USA prices).

• Like 3

I just picked up a new 2015 set of fly kinetic gear, seems pretty good. No over the top flashy colors and simple styling with logo. I can't stand gear that's crazy bright colors and makes you look like a circus clown. I'd like jt' racings stuff too, just too pricey for me

@cjjeepercreeper

i would buy Thor again forsure. My 10+ year old phase stuff still looks good! You'd never know it was that old. 

Having lived through the neon revolution that happened in the late 80s, it's weird to me seeing all the neon colors coming back. Then I looked at all the gear that I have, and it's mostly black and gray, little bit of blue. Best fitting gear? Thor from the 2002-2003 range that i still wear. I have newer stuff, but the fit is not right. 

• Like 1

I'd like to see a trend to slightly tighter fitting jerseys. Not road cycling, but just not so much excess material. Going down a size doesn't help much when it's designed baggy in the first place.

• Like 2

I disliked the neon of the late eighties early nineties and didn't even wear it back then, some of the neon now to me looks like a clowns onesie.

The pinnacle of riding gear.

Everything has been downhill since this was made.

• Like 2

It's only downhill if you're trying to look cool or be seen from space. I give not a flying crap what I look like. I find the most subdued gear I can, so I don't look like a clown vomited on me.

6 minutes ago, swingset said:

It's only downhill if you're trying to look cool or be seen from space. I give not a flying crap what I look like. I find the most subdued gear I can, so I don't look like a clown vomited on me.

My current gear isn't dull, but its not multi colored, its pretty much all red with a bit of black and white.  I just look like the red Power Ranger.  this, only red:

gear.JPG.04123731c6f14ff0e84f40e7082bbde5.JPG

Edited by cjjeepercreeper
  • Like 2

I want light brown in mesh. They only make solid colors in cold weather over the boot gear. 

I have plenty of clown suits currently.

1 hour ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

My current gear isn't dull, but its not multi colored, its pretty much all red with a bit of black and white.  I just look like the red Power Ranger.  this, only red:

gear.JPG.04123731c6f14ff0e84f40e7082bbde5.JPG

Where?

Just now, YHGEORGE said:

Where?

Where do you get Scott gear?  Not in the US anymore, they only market it in Europe now.  I got that late last year on a closeout from MC Closeouts, paid $40 for the whole set.

• Like 1

I really like the look of FASTHOUSE jerseys. They are American made and not neon.. Trouble is they start at like $60 each. 

Get what you pay for I guess huh