FX 350 gearing

Same's true with FE501.  Set up more for onroad than off.  I haven't yet made the change, but have the sprocket to go from 14/45 to 14/49.  Read through a few of the recent 17 bike posts, and you can see what others are doing.  If I was strictly single track, I'd probably be trying something more like 13/52. 

i went one down in front (13t) on mine and its great in trhe tight single/rocky/rooty trails. i may try 1 or 2 up in the rear next time i see a deal on a rear sprocket

Edited by slothy

• 4 months later...
On 7/23/2017 at 11:57 AM, mscruggs61 said:

I went with 13/52.  Worked fine with stock chain, and no issue on the chain guide.  Hoping it's not geared to low now.  Will give'r a try in the rocks & see what happens.  I can always go back to 50 or maybe 51.

How did the 13/52 treat ya?   I did a 13t on front when i bought mine right out of the gate.  Still seemed tall in 1st and 2nd for rock hopping and really aggressive single track.  Was thinking about doing 52 rear.  1t in rear doesn't really change much.

13/52 was great in the really tight stuff, but a bit short overall, so I went back to 50 on the rear.  Now it feels just a tiny bit tall in the nasty rocky uphills, but not horrible.  I raced Tecate Enduro with that setup and it was great.  The 350 is a mountain goat, for sure.  I should add that I put a Rekluse on as well.  That thing is amazing, and really prevents stalls in the nasty uphill rocky stuff, or when braking hard into tight single track corners.  Hated spending the money (and it a really expensive add on), but it makes a huge difference.

Rekluse has really evolved over the past several years.  Clutch lever feels totally normal.  It's just awesome.  Highly recommended if you ride tight stuff & have tendency to stall, or if your clutch hand gets tired.  Again, it's just awesome.  Only caveat ... you can be in gear, idling, and forget you're in gear.  Gas it & away you go, when you're not ready.  Been there.  Done that ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Most people seem to go to 13 in the front and leave the rear as is, per the above posts.  For riding in Northern California and racing D36 I ended up at 13/48 because I felt like running a 13 alone revved out too quickly in lower gears for sand, open trails and faster sections, and put too much load on the motor for single track.  

Probably just as easy to add a tooth or two on the rear vs. running 13/48 but I didn't want to bring the rear axle closer to the swing arm pivot and didn't want to buy a brand new chain with so few hours on the bike (which was a good move because the OEM chain has lasted forever).

FYI I raced BVet in scrambles and enduro's in the fall, will keep the same gearing in AVet next year and haven't had any issues stalling, abusing the clutch in tight stuff or feeling like I'm between gears.  Lots of the AA riders would probably  be fine with the stock gearing though, so it's all relative...

• 2 months later...