New KX 250 for dirtbeater

I have been around here for awhile and just picked a brand new to me KX 250. The prev owner said is an 01 I am not sure yet. I picked it up for 800 American. It does not run. It at leasts needs a top end, brake rebuild, carb clean, bolt kit (Only 2 zip ties!) Tires, seat cover and fork rebuild. I hope that is it. I am super excited to make this a super woods bike and have nothing but great things about it. I am not sure what all shows up in my Sig but my ktm 250 smoker was awesome and I was less than impressed with the yz450. I will be on this section much looking up info and asking questions. Ride on!20170719_190439.jpg

• Like 1

The link is broken. I am sad to be out of town as I would love to be cleaning and tearing her apart

its at least an 1999-2002

what is the 10th digit on the vin ?

its at least an 1999-2002
what is the 10th digit on the vin ?

I was told it is an 01
I have only been around it for about 5 minutes. I had to leave her home alone while I went out of town. I hope she is ok.

I will check when I get home

Sent from my SM-G920V using ThumperTalk mobile app

1 hour ago, dirtbeater said:

A?

Won't be an A ,that would make it a 1980 or a 2010 and it definitely isn't either of them

Does the vin start with a J ?

for your bike the 10th digit will be a X , Y , 1 or 2 (x=1999 , y =2000 , 1=2001 , 2=2002 ) 

what are the 4 digits cast into the cylinder ?

Won't be an A ,that would make it a 1980 or a 2010 and it definitely isn't either of them
for your bike the 10th digit will be a X , Y , 1 or 2 (x=1999 , y =2000 , 1=2001 , 2=2002 ) 

When I looked it up I realized I missed the j. I will go take another look here. I am just wondering what to do about the cylinder.

It a y so it's a 2000. I am going to make some calls about sleeves

Check on replating. Langcourt, Millenium, Power Seal, others.

I thought about that. I have a friend who is a reputable crank and boring guy. He will do the labor for near free. He also gets the kits a lot cheaper than retail. I had him do a yz80 and it worked out well.

5 hours ago, dirtbeater said:

It a y so it's a 2000. I am going to make some calls about sleeves

I would avoid sleeping , replate is the way to go 

4 hours ago, KDXGarage said:

Yes! Stay awake as long as you can, THEN replate.

Haha , wrote that early this morning and did even spell check it . Note to self never post before breakfast and coffee....lol

18 hours ago, dirtbeater said:

I thought about that. I have a friend who is a reputable crank and boring guy. He will do the labor for near free. He also gets the kits a lot cheaper than retail. I had him do a yz80 and it worked out well.

dont ruin that perfectly good cylinder!  Powerseal will replate your cylinder for about 200$ and it's much better than running a sleeve

Sleeving works and it's definitely an option but nikasil coatings are much harder and more slippery than the steel sleeves.  

• Like 1

Sleeving works and it's definitely an option but nikasil coatings are much harder and more slippery than the steel sleeves.  

Gotcha. I will probably be ridding 4 times a year with my kids. I also eventually want to big bore it. I have a fmf fatty and powercore 2. I need a s/A. I have not found an end cap I can put on it. I will probably just find something off eBay. Doni need to go fmf or is pc an option with the fatty?