Bringing a Sad XR600R back to life!

So a buddy of mine gave me a 1993 XR600R with the TR 660 kit in it. He thought he had broken 2nd gear back in 94 so he just pushed it outside next to his barn and there it set till now. It turned out to be a stripped shifter! My buddy has no mechanical ability!!! The outside of it was in pretty rough shape everything was locked up the brakes, chain cables. Engine was terribly corroded from sitting outside. The only good thing he did was drain the gas before he put it up. The thing started right up and purred like a kitten! No smoke! Manage to get the rear brake working and had an old chain and sprockets to use to test out the gears. Shifted good on the test run but I didn’t notice till I was through cleaning it up and running it down the road again it was making a lot of noise when I was in 2nd gear. I tore down the motor to find 2nd gear on the main shaft was in bad shape and had a tooth broken off.  Also 3rd gear was pitted pretty badly. Now just waiting on parts to put her back together.   

XR600R 1.JPG

XR600R 6.JPG

XR600R 7.JPG

XR600R 5.JPG

XR600R 2.JPG

XR600R 8.JPG

XR600R 9.JPG

XR600R 10.JPG

XR600R 3.JPG

XR600R 4.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScottRNelson said:

That cleaned up well.  Good thing that you actually had a look at the gears.  I'm curious how they got that way.

Well I think my buddy had been riding it so long with the shifter loose, when he was shifting he wasn't all the way into 2nd and he did tell me it would pop out of 2nd a lot. Shift forks look good and are not bent. I don't know why 3rd was pitted. The head, valves, cam, cylinder, piston, and bottom end were all in great shape except the those 2 gears. 

Stewart    

I had a third that looked the same. Tranny worked fine. There were no problems to begin with. But once I saw that I replaced it. Id guess oil that was just black soup. It might look oily, but lost its protective properties long before any changes. Not from me, there were other issues in this motor when I took it apart. Oil has to coat the metal inside, not just soup running over it.

Well was cleaning up parts and cleaning up the old gaskets remains and when I got to the cylinder I found what I thought was a oil smudge in the cylinder. Well its not! :( So its a bad spot in the cylinder that will catch you fingernail when you run it across it. I think its from sitting up so long. Maybe rusted there in that spot. Before I tried to start it I sprayed WD40 in the cylinder and let it sit but I guess it didn't help. It didn't smoke when riding it so I thought I was good. So being that it's got the 660 kit in it, and has been re-sleeved I guess my only option is to buy the kit again and have it installed? Or do you guys think I can get a new stock sleeve installed and just do a 628 kit? What are my options? 

Stewart

IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0743.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

9 hours ago, JoeRC51 said:

Is it raised or lower than the surrounding metal ? Try scrubbing it with a Scotchbright pad.

Its seems lowered. I tried the Scotchbright pad but it didn't clean it up. I'm going to try honing it and see what it does. 

Stewart  

• Like 1