Questions to ask Craigslist sellers

Hi, I'm new to the ThumperTalk forum.  So I got the ok from my wife to get a dirtbike and I'm in the market for a Suzuki WR250R...so I can sneak a little 'legal' road riding in :-)

That was the plan, but in searching Craigslist, I came across (2) different posts for a 2014 Honda CRF450R's for $1400. Upon further inspection, it appears to be the same bike in 2 different posts with different phone #'s. This is a helluva a great price (almost too good) considering other 450's range in price from $2,800 to $5k. Based on the pic, it looks to be in great condition cosmetically so I'm curious what I should be asking other than how many hours, maintenance routine, and if they have the title, etc? Get the VIN# get a report run? Obviously, if everything seems legit, I'd go and physically inspect. This is not a bike I was originally considering, but at this price, it's definitely on my radar right now but just want to make sure this doesn't sound too sketchy. All suggestions are welcome.

Edited by queencity_rida

No one sells that bike that cheap unless the engine is totally trashed. The person is a scammer. No doubt will tell you (only by text, they will not speak on the phone). that the bike is crated and at a shippers 'out of state' (-anyplace you are not) and they accept gift cards as payment and will ship it to you.

I'd wager 1/2 of the bikes and cars on CL do not exist and are scams. If they want to meet you and demand you bring cash, expect to get robbed. Tell them you'll met at a local police station. Get there early and tell the cops why you are in their parking lot.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Bikes are usually over priced and the sellers usually lie about the condition. They all 'just had the engine rebuilt, just need a new spark plug to get running'. Most pictures are of the bike when they bought it before they trashed it and not recently taken.

BTW, a CRF450R is a race MX bike and not at all suited for a beginner. The WR250R is a Yamaha and not a Suzuki. The WR250R is fully street legal and a great first bike.

• Like 4

Thank you for confirming my reservations guys....and I did accidentally put 'Suzuki' instead of 'Yamaha' in my OP :(

Edited by queencity_rida
  • Like 1

Ding dang ole' Craigslist man. Yo. 

If the price ain't right, the bike ain't right. 

If you want a cheap bike off Craigslist that has a decent chance at running for any period of time.... you want air cooled old school four strokes, maybe a two stroke KDX..... So you're looking at the XR, TTR, DRZ, DT line of bikes... 

If its a motocross bike and the price is under $1500-$1800.... you can bet the motor has some time on it... and it will only be a matter of time before it goes kaput. Or its a scam... some 12 yo kid from Sudan with a crusty laptop and the internet. 

That being said, sometimes you'll run across a good deal. Look for crappy poorly lit pics. Check the air filter, ask about oil changes... tune ups, maintenance done... tire condition... look at all of the small parts like chain and sprockets, chain sliders, spokes, brake pads... you can get nickel and dimed to death with all of the small parts. 

Meet in a public place. Not out back behind the trailer in Randy's tool shed out in the sticks. Bring a buddy or tell someone exactly where you're going. 

If the seller is sketchy... getting weird vibes... get outa there. Keep some heat in the truck. Bring tie down straps. Don't be afraid to drive away. 

Craigslist is addictive. 

• Like 1

Bro if you look at my profile pic i got my 2005 rmz 450 for $1250 all the bike needed was the right spark plug, and I am getting new valves for it soon, i think I got a score.

Bro if you look at my profile pic i got my 2005 rmz 450 for $1250 all the bike needed was the right spark plug, and I am getting new valves for it soon, i think I got a score.

I had a new 06. I paid $3500 usd out the door in 2010. Nobody wanted it. I soon found out why. If you paid more than 2 dead flies you paid too much.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 2

My experience has been most the scam ads only have one pic ad sounds to good to be true . Price to good to be true . Out of area code . Only has email as only contact . Says email at blank at Gmail can I get your name and address for the check my movers will come get it once check clears. Anything talking about military based etc , any of this crap run it's a scam . Oh and I meet everyone at the Walmart by the bank so there's plenty of camera just in case .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using ThumperTalk mobile app

Every bike on CL "has a new top end". Unless they can provide receipts for parts/labor, assume the bike has not been rebuilt. All of this "oh I accidentally threw away the receipt" is BS.  If the person rebuilt the engine themselves, they can go online to the website they bought the parts from and reprint a receipt. If they had a shop do it, they can call and have a new receipt printed. No receipt = no rebuild = scam. My roommate went to go look at a CRF450 and the ad said "new top end". Turns out the guy had just replaced a gasket and re-shimmed the valves.

Edited by Thefischerman
  • Like 2

I've replayed to a couple of these, bikes and cars.
They are all the same. They will be in the military or just got divorced and they want you to pay in PayPal.
Its a scam, I really don't know how it works, but word of advise: if they will not meet in person or take cash just drop it.

Sent from my LG-H871 using ThumperTalk mobile app