Jump to content

Recurring Brake Squeal after riding

Recommended Posts

2014 CRF250R

I've got a recurring issue where the front, and occasionally, the rear brakes begin squealing towards the end of the day after a few hours of riding.   Its hardly noticeable when I'm riding but sometimes the back has been bad enough where I can feel it through the frame.  Once the bike is home and washed, the squeal is 90% gone.  

Pads and rotors are mostly new, replaced at the same time.  When the problem started, the pads appeared to show signs of glazing so i roughed them with sandpaper.  I applied disc brake quiet to the backs of the pads which seemed to help allot but after a month or so, the noise comes back.  I've also rebuilt my front caliper because it had a lazy piston that wasn't retracting causing my front wheel to drag and I think causing the initial glazing.  

After all this, every month or so I have to pull the calipers apart, clean them and reapply grease to keep the noise at bay.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

Useless pic attached

IMG_3273.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Service the calipers, the caliper sliders are sticking. It the pins are getting gritty all the time, you need to replace the seals on them. You also may need new brake hardware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, William1 said:

Service the calipers, the caliper sliders are sticking. It the pins are getting gritty all the time, you need to replace the seals on them. You also may need new brake hardware.

Thanks.  Forgot to mention that I had pulled the slider pins, cleaned them, rubbed with some steelwool where necessary and applied wheel grease.  

What do you mean by new brake hardware?  New Calipers?

Edited by Darobman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darobman said:

Thanks.  Forgot to mention that I had pulled the slider pins, cleaned them, rubbed with some steelwool where necessary and applied wheel grease.  

What do you mean by new brake hardware?  New Calipers?

There are metal shims.

Also there are rubber seals on the pins. They should keep the pins clean. Steel wooling to remove corrosion makes the pins a tiny bit smaller which also promotes squealing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, William1 said:

There are metal shims.

Also there are rubber seals on the pins. They should keep the pins clean. Steel wooling to remove corrosion makes the pins a tiny bit smaller which also promotes squealing.

Thanks again.  So new shims and pins might be a good place to start then.  Aloha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Darobman said:

Thanks again.  So new shims and pins might be a good place to start then.  Aloha!

And seals on the pins with the correct water proof high temp grease.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×