When setting race sag is it better to sit on the seat, or better to stand on the pegs, cause I noticed on my bike it makes a bit of a difference and didn't know if one way or the other is correct.

I usually do it standing, it's more consistent, or sitting up on the seat above the pegs. It really shows you how much is affected when you sit too far back on the seat, makes your sag more which is less weight on the front end for front tire turning traction. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2017 at 2:58 PM, tom02cr250 said:

I usually do it standing, it's more consistent, or sitting up on the seat above the pegs. It really shows you how much is affected when you sit too far back on the seat, makes your sag more which is less weight on the front end for front tire turning traction. 

+1.  Most of my riding is standing, so that's what I'm wanting my suspension to be set for.  Tom is right that if you do it sitting, you can end up with very inconsistent measurements depending on where you sit each time.

Ya. Measuring sag can be so inconsistent or different. Also if you don't compress the forks your sag will be more than if you did compress the fork. I try to bounce on the bike so both the fork and shock is compressing and then extending and then have the helper measure. If you just sit on the seat without compressing the forks as far first your sag will be more. Take multiple measurements and average them if you can't get it consistent. 

Racetech (and others) recommend doing 2 measurements for forks, you sit/stand on the bike and get your helper to lift it, then set it down gently, then another compressing and gently releasing (do it a couple or 3 times), then you use a number half way between.

Make an effort to sit/stand how you do when you ride...be honest with yourself :ride: