Advice on brand new bike issues please :(

Just over a month ago I got a brand new KTM 690, its downright the best thing I have ever ridden/bought. No regrets at all with the bike.

However... It started using oil at an alarming rate, after the first service (600miles) In 1000 miles (1600 total) its used a Litre of oil. I googled it and others have this issue, people say it calms down after the first 3000 miles. This is not my main issue, even though its concerning.

Today I got curious and decided to change the oil again at 1723 miles total. It was black as anything, there was a fair amount of steel shavings on the sump plug and the biggest worry; the oil was shimmering with a fine particles of metal, not a huge amount, but surely thats not okay for a brand new bike???!!! Surely the oil should be clean after just 1000 miles? 

Its this part of the breaking in cycle or is this something seriously wrong?

If so I'm looking for advise on how to handle getting it sorted with the dealer, any info would be great. 

Thanks 

I would never have rode 600 miles on oil from the factory.. Just sayin.

Hope your bike is okay but it sounds like maybe she didn't break in properly. Hard to believe in this day an age of engine development but it could happen.

There is a bit of metal to be found for a few early oil changes, that is no big deal unless excessive (which I realize is subjective) 

But I would be worried as you are about it burning up so much oil.

What kind of oil are you putting in?

Maybe try some Lucas oil additive

Couldn't hurt at this point 

So many theories on breaking in a bike like this I stuck to what the dealer/KTM advise. Original oil and ride it 'nicely'. 

Good to know the metal in the oil its normal, Its not excessive but defiantly noticeable. 

The dealer said sometimes the rings can rotate to the wrong angle? or my theory is they need seating again..

Both of which the dealer should take care of under warrantee, I hope! 

Im using Motorex 10/60, what would the additive do?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Metal in your oil is NEVER normal, IMO.

What about older bikes that share oil with the clutch? I would say it's very normal to see very small flakes of metal in oil. Right!? Things larger than snow flakes should be of great concern though. Or metal that you can tell has shaved or chipped off.

2 minutes ago, kNewc said:

What about older bikes that share oil with the clutch? I would say it's very normal to see very small flakes of metal in oil. Right!? Things larger than snow flakes should be of great concern though. Or metal that you can tell has shaved or chipped off.

I ride a 2003 XR250R, the engine oil and clutch/trans are the same.  There is NEVER metal in my oil.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kNewc said:

Really? My RMZ450 has had it's fair share of metal flakes in the oil pan with no issues. It was very fine metal though and you couldn't really feel it. It wasn't "gritty" but more like a glitter. The last top-end job I had I brought it up to the shop mechanic I use and he said it was normal from the clutch.  I haven't seen the metal since that top end, but I've been changing my oil a lot more frequently as well. I honestly don't know but I'm just sharing what I have seen and what I have been told. The mechanic has been working on Kawasaki from the 70's and he's done all my race bikes.

Maybe I'm off base here, but I would be taking that bike back to the dealer.  The entire scenario sounds wrong, from the excessive oil use to the metal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Maybe I'm off base here, but I would be taking that bike back to the dealer.  The entire scenario sounds wrong, from the excessive oil use to the metal.

Yea for sure. If he's have any issues and bought it off the show room floor he should have taken it back yesterday

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

I ride a 2003 XR250R, the engine oil and clutch/trans are the same.  There is NEVER metal in my oil.

From the Blackstone FAQ:

You found higher-than-average metals in my oil but you said I could go longer on the oil next time.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/faq.php

There may not be enough for you to see or notice, but there is ALWAYS metal in your oil.  If not, you've found the perfect combination of lubrication and you're engine/trans will never wear out. And technically oil has metals in it from the factory - Magnesium, Zinc, ect.

Oil consumption would worry me more then metal in a new engine.  Ether way I'd skip the dealer and get in touch with KTM direct.  They will tell you its fine and normal, or they will want to know about any possible issues with new bikes to be able to get it corrected asap.

my $.02

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thump_Stump said:

From the Blackstone FAQ:

You found higher-than-average metals in my oil but you said I could go longer on the oil next time.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/faq.php

There may not be enough for you to see or notice, but there is ALWAYS metal in your oil.  If not, you've found the perfect combination of lubrication and you're engine/trans will never wear out. And technically oil has metals in it from the factory - Magnesium, Zinc, ect.

Oil consumption would worry me more then metal in a new engine.  Ether way I'd skip the dealer and get in touch with KTM direct.  They will tell you its fine and normal, or they will want to know about any possible issues with new bikes to be able to get it corrected asap.

my $.02

I thought it went without saying that I was talking about visible oil.  I don't have microscope eyes.  Flakes or chunks are very wrong, even much in the way of visible very fine color is a sign your engine is eating itself.

In a shared sump, same oil for trans and engine, there will always be some metal in the oil.  In a separate sump with a dedicted supply of engine oil, any visible break in debris should be minimal and I would not expect to see any after the first oil change.  Its a judgement call really.  What is excessive is hard to describe.

As far as the oil consumption it is acceptable for a brand new engine to use what would ordinarily be an excessive amount.  This should begin to diminish as miles accumulate rather than increase unless there is a problem.

1 minute ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

I thought it went without saying that I was talking about visible oil.  I don't have microscope eyes.  Flakes or chunks are very wrong, even much in the way of visible very fine color is a sign your engine is eating itself.

Thats subjective.  Not everyone has the same vision or can see things that others can.

On a new bike, its also going to have burrs and such to file down. Unless its a factory spec bike, they just dont get the love and care to make sure everything is debarred and perfectly polished.  But after a second oil change you shouldnt be seeing 'chunks' or 'flakes' much.  The Kawi's have a scavenger screen that catches a lot of the 'flakes' before they get far.  I've seen pics (and my own) where after the break in period it was like a bowl of frosted flakes!  But then no more after that.

My friend bought a YZ that had one of the half moon clips for the cam bearing in the engine for 6 months and all it did was eat at the stator and gouge the flywheel.  Whats anyone worried about a few shavings for?  :p

1 minute ago, Thump_Stump said:

Thats subjective.  Not everyone has the same vision or can see things that others can.

On a new bike, its also going to have burrs and such to file down. Unless its a factory spec bike, they just dont get the love and care to make sure everything is debarred and perfectly polished.  But after a second oil change you shouldnt be seeing 'chunks' or 'flakes' much.  The Kawi's have a scavenger screen that catches a lot of the 'flakes' before they get far.  I've seen pics (and my own) where after the break in period it was like a bowl of frosted flakes!  But then no more after that.

My friend bought a YZ that had one of the half moon clips for the cam bearing in the engine for 6 months and all it did was eat at the stator and gouge the flywheel.  Whats anyone worried about a few shavings for?  :p

I guess Hondas are just built better.  ;)  I bought that XR new in 03, finally after a number of years decided to look at the filter screen that is behind the drain plug and the other one by the clutch.  Nothing in them at all.  I never examined the actual filter very deeply though.

3 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

Metal in your oil is NEVER normal, IMO.

Fine, visible "glitter" is perfectly normal in a new engine. IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flagstaff said:

Fine, visible "glitter" is perfectly normal in a new engine. IMO.

Maybe in one of those euro bikes.

But, I would expect that more in the trans than in the actual engine.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

Just now, cjjeepercreeper said:

Maybe in one of those euro bikes.

In any new bike from any continent that I've owned. :excuseme:

1 minute ago, Flagstaff said:

In any new bike from any continent that I've owned. :excuseme:

See my edited post that must have gone up after you hit the quote button.  Where in a top end would you really expect to see "glitter" from.  Gears yes, clutch maybe, but top end?

Just now, cjjeepercreeper said:

See my edited post that must have gone up after you hit the quote button.  Where in a top end would you really expect to see "glitter" from.  Gears yes, clutch maybe, but top end?

This bike shares the oil. You cannot tell the difference.

2 minutes ago, Flagstaff said:

This bike shares the oil. You cannot tell the difference.

See, what do I know about those euro bikes. :facepalm:

• Like 1