Looking to get back on a bike after a long hiatus

Hey guys, 

After being away from any kind of off-road riding for the past 8 or so years I've gotten the itch to get back on a bike. I started out on quads as a teenager (raptor 350, z400, and yfz 450) before moving on to bikes (04 crf250r, 02 yz125, 04 rm250). 

I'm 6'2, 205 lbs. I will mainly be riding the bike on trails and open fields. I'll likely build a little track on my property with some small tabletops as well. I definitely wouldn't consider myself a great rider on bikes, but I enjoy the challenge and improving my skills.  

My budget is in the $2500-3000 range. Maybe a bit more for a clean bike. The bikes I'm considering right now are mainly 10-13 YZ250F's and 05+ YZ250's. I've been leaning more toward the 250F just because I know I will be very rusty and I feel like the yz250 might be a little too much bike for me as I get used to riding again. The only thing that concerns me is the reliability of the 4 stroke. I never had any issues with my crf250r, but I always heard horror stories and didn't keep it very long. I was considering the yz250f because I always heard it was the most reliable of the class. I've had my eye out for wr250f's and crf250x's as well, but they seem to be very rare (or expensive) in my area. 

Are there any other bikes I should be considering? Any feedback is welcome! 

Thanks

I think your on the right track.  I like both 2 strokes and 4 strokes but when it comes to buying a used bike with an unknown history I feel a lot safer with a 2 strokes.  So a YZ250 would be my first choice in a used bike.  If you were willing to buy new I think the YZ250FX would be a fantastic 4-stroke for your mix of trails and track riding.    

If you do decide to buy a used 4-stroke, download the owner's manual.  Look over the maintenance schedule.  Find out if the owner has done a top-end.  Look very closely at the bike and try to make a guess as to the number of hours on it.  Ignore the plastics as many people will slap new ones on before selling.  Look at the wear in the engine covers, pegs, seat, grips, etc.  

Doc

Honestly I would go for the yz250. I don't really trust used 250fs especially in that price range but some people seem to have decent luck with em. Just go easy until you get comfortable back in the dirt and have fun!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using ThumperTalk mobile app