Metal in filter

I started a thread 3 years ago when i bought my high mileage 07 400S showing some small bits of metal in the filter. Now 18,000 kms later i think i got a problem.

20170721_120719_HDR.jpg

Sent from my LG-D852 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Can you pick all of them up with a magnet?  Or a mix of aluminum and steel?

Looks like a decent amount of stuff in there...  How many miles on that filter?  Have you checked the screen in the frame?  How was the magnet on the drain plug?

You could pull the stator cover , valve cover and RHS cover and have a look .

otherwise time for some motor work , any decent used motors around ?

i bought one off a Real E with 3000 klm on it , job done 

Ya mostly all aluminum bits, so something grinding like a gear on case or clutch.

So yes I will be first pulling off engine covers and hopefully find something. Otherwise the cases will be coming apart.

Bike is still running well and just as noisey as it ever has been, really bummed cuz off for two weeks holiday and of course hoping to ride some of it. :cry:

3 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

How many miles total are you at?
Is it knocking?

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Don't know how many total kms. PO thought it had over 100,000 kms, had a striker dash.

I just put new crank in over winter, done about 3,000k since and 2 oil changes that looked ok, but now something is grinding on aluminum, going to rip all the covers off tonight.

i wouldnt fix it till it breaks, ive had motors apart before that were so sloppy wore out with piles of junk in the pan and i could literally turn them over by a hand on the pully but they still ran pretty good .. if its really 'that bad' your not going to save anything by doing it sooner, if anything refrain from pounding the living monkey funk out of it and ride it on the easy side, racing it would be 'surfin with alien' lol ..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cowpie said:

i wouldnt fix it till it breaks, ive had motors apart before that were so sloppy wore out with piles of junk in the pan and i could literally turn them over by a hand on the pully but they still ran pretty good .. if its really 'that bad' your not going to save anything by doing it sooner, if anything refrain from pounding the living monkey funk out of it and ride it on the easy side, racing it would be 'surfin with alien' lol ..

Haha, I hear ya, my problem is on the way up to our vacation spot, I go through remote area's close to 100 kms. from civilization and no cell coverage. But if I can't find anything under the 3 covers, I may just do another quick oil change and ride it, with fingers and toes crossed.

I may look for a second DRZ for spares.

Edited by bucket list
  • Like 1

Haha, I hear ya, my problem is on the way up to our vacation spot, I go through remote area's close to 100 kms. from civilization and no cell coverage. But if I can't find anything under the 3 covers, I may just do another quick oil change and ride it, with fingers and toes crossed.
I may look for a second bike for spares.

Im buying an InReach tomorrow for the same reason.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, bucket list said:

I'm thinking you're on the right track, sensible approach is to pull the three covers. It might just be something simple, fretting against the aluminum and doesn't mean the engine is toast. Might be a lucky break if it were advance warning of a loose fitting? Stay optimistic, ya never know and keep us posted. With any luck it won't curtail riding during your time off.

Edited by shuswap1

1 hour ago, shuswap1 said:

I'm thinking you're on the right track, sensible approach is to pull the three covers. It might just be something simple, fretting against the aluminum and doesn't mean the engine is toast. Might be a lucky break if it were advance warning of a loose fitting? Stay optimistic, ya never know and keep us posted. With any luck it won't curtail riding during your time off.

Thanks Greg, my 3 cover inspection proved nothing but a beautiful clean looking engine. The filter is doing it's job well. There must be something rubbing a bit of alum. in the trans. 

I'm going to just ride  it and do some short oil and filter change intervals until I can rip it apart in the winter.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. :thumbsup: :ride:

• Like 3

Normal, is clutch cage, worst case is the big end bearing cage on crank

• Like 1

On 7/21/2017 at 7:27 PM, bucket list said:

Did you check your countersprocket?

Did you check your countersprocket?

I've changed from 16T to 13T and back to 16. iin the last couple of weeks, why do you think that would cause all this aluminum?

5 minutes ago, bucket list said:

I've changed from 16T to 13T and back to 16. iin the last couple of weeks, why do you think that would cause all this aluminum?

Not sure it would, but I believe the loctite fix keeps the spacer shim from wearing and letting the shaft walk in. What the failure mode is from there I'm not sure, but if the aluminum is not coming from the areas you checked, it's coming from somewhere else. If it is coming from the clutch basket, you should be able to see notching near the tabs on the clutch plates.

Sent from the porcelain throne in my water closet using CrappaTalk.

Not sure it would, but I believe the loctite fix keeps the spacer shim from wearing and letting the shaft walk in. What the failure mode is from there I'm not sure, but if the aluminum is not coming from the areas you checked, it's coming from somewhere else. If it is coming from the clutch basket, you should be able to see notching near the tabs on the clutch plates.

Sent from the porcelain throne in my water closet using CrappaTalk.

[/url]  

Like these.

20161116_215720_HDR.jpg

I filed all those smooth during the winter rebuild, helps with a smooth clutch engagement. Maybe their notching again bad. I should probably pull clutch apart and look.