Older XCs/XCWs/EXCs Still Capable?

I am looking to sell my DRZ 400s for something more dirt oriented. I have pretty much settled on the XC/XCW line of bikes, preferably a 300. I have seen some decent bikes on CL, but there is a 2002 300 EXC nearby and the seller is looking to trade for a dual-sport. I like this deal, because it will save a lot of time and effort. I am worried that I won't be happy with the older 2002. Most of the bikes I was looking at were around 2006-2010.

Is this still a good bike, or would a newer 2006-2010 model be much better?

Edited by GVRider

I believe the motor changed in 04. 04-07 had unique cylinders and heads but the 08-16 top ends will go on the older 04-07 lower ends without much trouble. You would have to make a top engine mount bracket to use the 08-16 top end on the 04-06 frame though. I had a 05 250exc and a 07 300xcw. Both great bikes. I recently sold my 05 and picked up a 2011. So far I liked my 05 better lol. Engine parts for the earlier motors may still be plentiful. I am not sure and someone on here may be able to answer that question. If it was me I would look slightly newer so parts are not a issue down the road.

• Like 2

I had an '02 KTM 300EXC. Great bike. Suspension is not as good as the newer bikes but if properly tuned and set up with proper springs and valving they work pretty good. Take the CDI box and relocate it to under the gas tank to give you more turning radius. Enduro Engineering used to sell this bracket but not any more I think. If you get the bike, I can help you out with the jetting and such as I had my bike dialed in. Good luck

Little Jeff

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 2strokes_rule said:

Just an FYI....2012 was a good year. Refined bike. My buddy is selling a nice one for $3500 as an example. No use to you of coarse. 

If possible strive for that...or newer ?

2012s are going for close to $5k in this area. I probably won't be able to get over $4k for my '05 DRZ 400s.

39 minutes ago, Little Jeff said:

I had an '02 KTM 300EXC. Great bike. Suspension is not as good as the newer bikes but if properly tuned and set up with proper springs and valving they work pretty good. Take the CDI box and relocate it to under the gas tank to give you more turning radius. Enduro Engineering used to sell this bracket but not any more I think. If you get the bike, I can help you out with the jetting and such as I had my bike dialed in. Good luck

Little Jeff

Thanks for the advice. I am going to try to look at it tomorrow.

Edited by GVRider

I checked out the bike; looked really good, like it had not been ridden a whole lot. Started 2nd kick cold. This trade is looking pretty good.

He's going to come by and check out the DRZ tomorrow. It's in great shape and only has 4000 miles on it. How much cash do you think I should ask for on top of the trade?

5 hours ago, horsinaround said:

I have one of them cdi relocation brackets from enduro engineering if you get the bike. I think it stands me 20$.

I will probably take you up on that, if I pick up the bike.

8 hours ago, Jekel said:

Once you look at the condition, then I would look for a cash difference. If both comparable, straight trade I would think. Hard to say not knowing year of Suzuki. 

The DRZ is a 2005. Their are a few on CL for around $3,500-$4000. I am seeing 2006-2007 KTM 300 XCs for around $3,000.

On 7/22/2017 at 8:37 AM, GVRider said:

I am looking to sell my DRZ 400s for something more dirt oriented. I have pretty much settled on the XC/XCW line of bikes, preferably a 300. I have seen some decent bikes on CL, but there is a 2002 300 EXC nearby and the seller is looking to trade for a dual-sport. I like this deal, because it will save a lot of time and effort. I am worried that I won't be happy with the older 2002. Most of the bikes I was looking at were around 2006-2010.

good bikes

i got a 1998 200 exc

2001-2002 got usd forks and can be made to work well 

if i had a heavy pig of a drz 400 and someone wanted to trade for a ktm 300 i would do it in a heart beat 

only differnce for the 200 upto 2007 was a head gasket change so maybe same for the 300 

parts are easy to come by

• Like 2

On 7/22/2017 at 8:07 AM, GVRider said:

They are all good. You might save some $$ on an older model, but be aware you may then end up spending it on suspension or TLC.

Best generation of forks are 2009 up, Early 2000s are OK. I hear the 07 and 08 ones are not very good. PDS shocks the newer the better. 

Mind you, all will "work" just fine for trail riding.

• Like 1

I attended a Shane Watts school a few weeks ago, and one of the things he pointed out is that the old bikes are great.  He said his personal bike is an old 200, I'd guess 2005ish by the way he talked.

One thing to consider, I would value that 2002 under $2000, unless it is an exceptional example of condition and owner has a great history of it.

• Like 1

I sold my 2002 300 a few months ago and it was in excellent shape for 2000$ 

It was a great bike and all the parts I needed during my 2 years of beating it up were readily available. I only replaced it due to my knee hated kick starting it, and my newer 300 has the magic button. The suspension was plush and worked great for the technical trails, pretty harsh in the big hits and whoops. 

If I were to start over again I would get a newer 300 for a few reasons such as engine design, suspension, better performance parts options and e start. 

But you can't go wrong with a 300 of any year!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattwave said:

It was a great bike and all the parts I needed during my 2 years of beating it up were readily available. I only replaced it due to my knee hated kick starting it, and my newer 300 has the magic button. The suspension was plush and worked great for the technical trails, pretty harsh in the big hits and whoops. 

If I were to start over again I would get a newer 300 for a few reasons such as engine design, suspension, better performance parts options and e start. 

That's what I was thinking. I rode it and it felt great, I'm probably not hard to please coming off a DRZ400. I was thinking $1,000 on top of the trade.

E-Start is the main thing that is giving me pause. I am 5'8" and having an e-start really helps. I think I will try selling it and put the money towards a newer model. The downside with a newer model, in California, is it would be red sticker.

Edited by GVRider
  • Like 1

Matt what did you end up getting?! I recently sold my YZ and got a 17' Beta 250RR. We should link up for a Walker rip soon.
  • Like 1