Portugal EnduroGP, Beta's Holcombe leads with 3 rounds left

Freeman is closing in on the Junior title with 2 races to go he is down by 14 points. With a little luck, and maybe a spoiler or 2 between him and the points leader he could do it still!

http://www.enduro-live.info/

brad.freeman_EWC_2017_Rnd_4_3040.jpg?fit

Holcombe carries a 37 point lead and has put points on 2nd place in the last 4 days events. He now has enough of a cushion to DNF a day and still retain the points lead, so things are looking GREAT! Heading to the home court advantage in the UK round 1 month away for Holcombe and Freeman has the prospect of 2 Championships looking possible.
 It appears Salvini (and Nambotin) dropped out of the race after the 1st really dusty special test. No comments so far, but it appears that there were many that felt that the high speed course, littered with boulders was just too dangerous in the dust. The Championship is already struggling to have enough riders to fill the field, E2 riders would have scored podiums in EnduroGP yesterday, Phillips announcing his "retirement" indication he may ride some other series all don't bode well for the new format.

The video's produced for EnduroGP are some of the best around in dirt bikes. Drones following riders up close, slow mo, great technical action, crowd shots, excellent editing all make for an awesome watch. It's a shame they can't produce a TV show to make some income and sell ads.

The shots of Holcombe are excellent, he's carrying power wheelies out of every turn, just hauling ass. The exhaust on his bike seems to be something special, longer head pipe and bigger cone than normal.

These sure are great times to be a Beta fan, and especially a 2 stroke owner! It's one thing to study the internet forums and tests and determine what bike you feel is worthy of you speaking with your wallet about, but to see "your" decision reaffirmed on the race circuits is icing on the cake.

Edited by Johnny Depp
  • Like 4

Phillips said that the GPs are out of touch with the "regular" dirt bike crowd, basically it became more exclusive. He cited that as one of the reasons he was leaving. I think it should be made more accessible to the privateers. If one of these was happening in my backyard I'd sign up, just to tick the box. Maybe there will be changes for next year? 

I agree with you about the content, the videos are always getting better and better. Pretty good social media presence as well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Depp said:

Freeman is closing in on the Junior title with 2 races to go he is down by 14 points. With a little luck, and maybe a spoiler or 2 between him and the points leader he could do it still!

http://www.enduro-live.info/

brad.freeman_EWC_2017_Rnd_4_3040.jpg?fit

Holcombe carries a 37 point lead and has put points on 2nd place in the last 4 days events. He now has enough of a cushion to DNF a day and still retain the points lead, so things are looking GREAT! Heading to the home court advantage in the UK round 1 month away for Holcombe and Freeman has the prospect of 2 Championships looking possible.
 It appears Salvini (and Nambotin) dropped out of the race after the 1st really dusty special test. No comments so far, but it appears that there were many that felt that the high speed course, littered with boulders was just too dangerous in the dust. The Championship is already struggling to have enough riders to fill the field, E2 riders would have scored podiums in EnduroGP yesterday, Phillips announcing his "retirement" indication he may ride some other series all don't bode well for the new format.

The video's produced for EnduroGP are some of the best around in dirt bikes. Drones following riders up close, slow mo, great technical action, crowd shots, excellent editing all make for an awesome watch. It's a shame they can't produce a TV show to make some income and sell ads.

The shots of Holcombe are excellent, he's carrying power wheelies out of every turn, just hauling ass. The exhaust on his bike seems to be something special, longer head pipe and bigger cone than normal.

These sure are great times to be a Beta fan, and especially a 2 stroke owner! It's one thing to study the internet forums and tests and determine what bike you feel is worthy of you speaking with your wallet about, but to see "your" decision reaffirmed on the race circuits is icing on the cake.

There are a lot of riders that do just that at the US National Enduros ... sign up for the experience and to say that they ran the same course the really fast guys did. Except that the EWC/EnduroGP tend to run the same sections for both days, there is no reason not to have the locals sign up and race.

• Like 3

You can't have locals signing up for a GP event, you do that in nationals, local wild cards have done these events. Locals sign up for national events and get their ass handed to them. Its GP. Maybe Phillips is retiring because he hasn't featured this season, he looks demotivated and over weight, maybe Sherco don't have the budget they are a very small concern, it might be pretty stock bike, or he's outclassed.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using ThumperTalk mobile app

6 hours ago, Retromlc said:

You can't have locals signing up for a GP event, you do that in nationals, local wild cards have done these events. Locals sign up for national events and get their ass handed to them. Its GP. Maybe Phillips is retiring because he hasn't featured this season, he looks demotivated and over weight, maybe Sherco don't have the budget they are a very small concern, it might be pretty stock bike, or he's outclassed.

Yea that xtreme test was causing the pros lots of problems, I can't imagine the weekend warriors. Some of those step-offs were huge! Good point about Phillips but he did do better this past GP. I don't think they can afford to lose that many riders, I mean the top class has like what, 13 riders? Even Formula 1, which is notoriously expensive has like 20 drivers. Probably a bad comparison but I think the more skilled riders they have to feature the better. 

It's been great to see the Enduro side of the sport grow in model availability and manufacturer's involved. The turnout for off road rider entries worldwide seems to be multiple times the amount for MX and it is keeping the sport alive. It's success has also been a curse, since every promoter wants a piece of the pie it is cut too thin.

Extreme events

Endurocross (now to be called Super Endurocross)

Dakar and rally's

GNCC,

Hare Scrambles

National Enduro series

Sprint Full Gas Enduro

Trials

MX

Supercross

Arenacross

Supermoto

Freestyle

ISDE

WORCS

Baja

Hare and Hound

Score

OMA

Big 6

Super Enduro World Championships

The list goes on for days, and they are all diluting the talent pool. Manufacturer's can scarcely afford to participate in everything. There seems to be a lot of minor league players, and very few big players in the series.

Edited by Johnny Depp

On 7/24/2017 at 9:49 AM, OscarFox said:

Phillips said that the GPs are out of touch with the "regular" dirt bike crowd, basically it became more exclusive. He cited that as one of the reasons he was leaving. I think it should be made more accessible to the privateers. If one of these was happening in my backyard I'd sign up, just to tick the box. Maybe there will be changes for next year? 

I agree with you about the content, the videos are always getting better and better. Pretty good social media presence as well. 

Cutting out 1 class made it shittier.. I don't want 2 classes .. I doubt the public wants less.. we want more!

6 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

It's been great to see the Enduro side of the sport grow in model availability and manufacturer's involved. The turnout for off road rider entries worldwide seems to be multiple times the amount for MX and it is keeping the sport alive. It's success has also been a curse, since every promoter wants a piece of the pie it is cut too thin.

Extreme events

Endurocross (now to be called Super Endurocross)

Dakar and rally's

GNCC,

Hare Scrambles

National Enduro series

Sprint Full Gas Enduro

Trials

MX

Supercross

Arenacross

Supermoto

Freestyle

ISDE

WORCS

Baja

Hare and Hound

Score

OMA

Big 6

Super Enduro World Championships

The list goes on for days, and they are all diluting the talent pool. Manufacturer's can scarcely afford to participate in everything. There seems to be a lot of minor league players, and very few big players in the series.

There seems to be a big pool of riders that want to race but there's no openings now  with the class taken out.

http://www.enduro21.com/index.php/endurogp/2362-matt-phillips-calls-time-on-endurogp-world-championship-career

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

18 hours ago, Retromlc said:

I don't know.. he's still riding fast.. and he's just a big guy.. sort of like Marko Tarkala.. He's a big framed guy.. and he's been champion. He's fast.  I really wonder where Beta and Sherco and TM etc have enough for their funding.. All are small brands. ..but I guess that's just racing.. gotta have a presence in world enduro.

http://www.enduro21.com/index.php/endurogp/2362-matt-phillips-calls-time-on-endurogp-world-championship-career

EnduroGP. Is so competitive you can be 5 seconds off the leader after a day's riding and be nowhere,lots of young guns coming through, Philips is awesome but outclassed this year,maybe he's struggling with being abroad all the time.who knows

• 4 weeks later...