Hey guys, I'm looking for some help on what size bike to get. I'm 6'1 and 165 lbs. I ride quite often and have decent experience on a bike. My friend that has been riding for about 10 years thinks I should get a 450 because they're more reliable. I ride trails pretty often but would like to learn how to ride tracks. I have ridden a 450 before but never a 250f. Any comments are appreciated 

Ride a few different bikes and choose. 250f top ends can come up soon, and be pretty pricey when ridden hard. But there's many cases of high hour ones. I'm adaptive and can ride anything I end up on, with a 250 2 stroke being MY preferred choice. People tend to get lazy when Most of their riding has been on a 450.

Thank you for your input. I've ridden 2, 250 2 strokes, one yamaha and a suzuki. Wasn't a huge fan of them. I will probably only have this bike for a year or so and I probably won't be riding every weekend. And how many hours is too much on a 250f or 450f? Thanks again

They're not for everyone. I feel like the 125 2 stroke/ 250 4stroke is an important learning tool, just sucks to maintain them. I'd steer clear of a modern 250f after 40hrs for most of them,not saying one couldn't go longer than that. 250 trail bikes are an exception, and hondas A vet owned mildly ridden one could go double that, the key is how it was maintained and how hard it was ridden. Many get bought and have the piss ridden out of them though.

450s live longer lives. They have much more power, and make it at lower rpms. You can use the engines torque and short shift it while still going fast. They're rebuild intervals can go much longer.  I have a dash over 100hrs on my rmz450. I know many people with 200hrs on trail ridden well taken care of 450s. If you found a well maintained one at less than 60 hours it could serve you well for a long time. Mx racing would be in the hunt for lower hours. Key is how well it was taken care of on both.

one option is buy a 250f, ride for a year while gaining good skill, then upgrade to a 450

Edited by RawbW