Ok I'm stuck on which pre mix oil.

Just got a 2001 yz250 and have been running the Lucas semi syn smokeless 2 stroke pre mix but I am not sure if it is good or not. Bike runs great and i trail ride mostly. Is there a better pre mix to run please help me out i would like to order some.

I like Amsoil interceptor very much. 1 quart to 10 gallons for the woods 1 quart to 8 gallons on the track.

• Like 1

Is yamalube 2r going to be better than the lucas semi synthetic im running now. i mix at 32:1.

2 hours ago, YZF1825 said:

Just got a 2001 yz250 and have been running the Lucas semi syn smokeless 2 stroke pre mix but I am not sure if it is good or not. Bike runs great and i trail ride mostly. Is there a better pre mix to run please help me out i would like to order some.

If you google 2 stroke oil flash point a link to a thumper talk thread pops up and it has a list of common 2 stroke oils

if you trail ride I would stay below ~240f flash point and run a full synthetic 

fwiw I run castrol power tts ( gold bottle )

its full synthetic, low flash point and well priced in my part of the world, once bike is jetted correctly , zero spooge and very little smoke to no smoke once engine is warm

• Like 1

IMO, people over analyze the crap out of premix. A name brand oil properly mixed won't be the REASON your machine blows up. They all meet stringent specifications. With that being said, I recently changed from yamalube to maxima k2....reason being its a full synthetic with a lower flash point than the yamalube.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, YZF1825 said:

Well is the Lucas good? Will it blow my top end? I just can't find much info on people using it.

I've been running it for a few years in two different bikes, it seams fine, my bikes haven't blown up or gummed up the power valves and it doesn't smoke much at all or spooge at all in my bike.

I do mixed riding with equal amounts of low rpm lugging and ripping wide open, I also run 40-1 not 32-1.

Lucas and amsoil are both very easy for me to get and cheap, I ran dominator for a while years ago, it smoked more than the lucas does when lugging the bike. I don't like interceptor simply because of the color, I have a hard time telling if my gas has oil in in it with the non tinted interceptor oil, with a few different gas jugs in the garage this is a pita. My neighbors ran it for a bit, it doesn't smoke or spooge at all, this concerned them so they switched back to dominator which smokes a tiny bit. Non of us have blown a bike from using the "wrong" oil, you can run most any premix you want.

• Like 1

To paraphrase the mountain bike argument on wheel sizes,

"Choose an oil, then be a d!ck about".

That being said, we've run everything in our bikes -- right down to those little packets of lawnmower oil -- and never had an oil-related failure. Given the choice, Lucas Interceptor would be first, but I've heard good things about Motul 710; both have a low flash point. We run 75% woods, 25% track.

Good luck!

Jump to the 3:00 mark.

Edited by CaptDan
Added video link.
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, CaptDan said:

To paraphrase the mountain bike argument on wheel sizes,

"Choose an oil, then be a d!ck about".

That being said, we've run everything in our bikes -- right down to those little packets of lawnmower oil -- and never had an oil-related failure. Given the choice, Lucas Interceptor would be first, but I've heard good things about Motul 710; both have a low flash point. We run 75% woods, 25% track.

Good luck!

:lol::lol:

:goofy: What ever you are smoking, you better just put it down, and walk away. 

:devil:Me, being said prick! :p

2R Yamalube, proper jetting, mountain trails or desert. I get little to know spooge, bike runs fantastic. :ride:

I luvs a good oil thread. Think that makes about 935,231 now... :jawdrop:

10 hours ago, HeavyRotation said:

I gotta decide tomorrows too, I been running Yamalube 2R at 32 and its a bit spoogy on trail rides. I keep seeing recommendations for Amsoil Interceptor for us trail guys.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

You stop that now, and put 2R in it. Oh, and the thing on the right side of the bars.... Twist it!

Edited by P84ONE
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, P84ONE said:

:goofy: What ever you are smoking, you better just put it down, and walk away. 

Smoking?! In the oil section? Never!

Now drinking...  that's another thing all together... :cheers:

Did you check out the vid? It's funny stuff, and a lot relates to the moto world as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CaptDan said:

Smoking?! In the oil section? Never!

Now drinking...  that's another thing all together... :cheers:

Did you check out the vid? It's funny stuff, and a lot relates to the moto world as well.

Tried the Apple Pie Hole... Good stuff too... 

No I didn't it wasn't posted this morning when I quoted you guys... Looking now... 

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Edited by P84ONE
  • Like 1

Okay so I made the switch. I drained my tank and went to Yamalube 2R 32:1. I must say what a difference in crispness in power, I notice my Vforce 3 reeds even more so, but I am curious, this Yamalube is very low spoodge, as in barely any is coming out of the sliencer. I am 1 1/4 turns out from seated on my air/fuel screw on the carb and there is very little smoke at operating temps. But when I fire it up cold there is more smoke which is normal. So if it was running lean what would I look for in performance. There is no hanging idle, I can start the bike without choke, it starts first kick cold and first kick hot. The bike does not run hot at all which is nice and it puts and it lugs great. Thanks for the help.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, YZF1825 said:

Okay so I made the switch. I drained my tank and went to Yamalube 2R 32:1. I must say what a difference in crispness in power, I notice my Vforce 3 reeds even more so, but I am curious, this Yamalube is very low spoodge, as in barely any is coming out of the sliencer. I am 1 1/4 turns out from seated on my air/fuel screw on the carb and there is very little smoke at operating temps. But when I fire it up cold there is more smoke which is normal. So if it was running lean what would I look for in performance. There is no hanging idle, I can start the bike without choke, it starts first kick cold and first kick hot. The bike does not run hot at all which is nice and it puts and it lugs great. Thanks for the help.

Is air screw set for best throttle response ?

to check if lean warm the bike up fully by riding it and the stop and pull clutch in and rev the bike to full throttle and if it revs clean it is all good, if it bogs down it is a little lean on the needle

what jetting is in there now ?

Stock jetting have jd kit haven't installed yet

Runs great now with stock jetting 32:1 but do you think I will gain any thing by jd jetting my carb?

Never used a jd kit and really don't see the benefit when you can get good results from stock keihin pilot , needles ( Suzuki triple tapers ) and stock keihin mains

• Like 3