Smoothing out a 125 2 stroke

I recently picked up a 2001 RM125 for a decent price for something to play around with.  Ever since I bought my new Husqvarna TE250 I've been missing having older used bikes to fix up and tinker with.  It runs and rides good as it is now, but I want to smooth out the 125 powerband hit for trail riding.  No fun trying to set up a log jump or get a little air off the top of a hill and have the powerband flick up on you.

When I was thinking about getting an 85 for my son, a local guy who has been riding for many years, told me I could try putting a washer where the pipe mates to the cylinder as that is what he did it to his sons Yamaha 85 when he was learning.  I haven't done it to my sons KX85 as I don't think it needs it.  It already has a pretty smooth transition.

Remembering this I thought I would try it on my newly acquired RM 125.  I looked through my parts bin and found a washer with the perfect outside diameter (OD) to fit in the pipe.  The inside diameter (ID) was small (it wouldn't fit all the way on my pinky finger) but I had it so I was going to try it.

Popped it in and went for a test spin.  The difference was awesome!  The ole' RM125 now sounded somewhat like a KTM Freeride!  It had more bottom end and the transition into midrange was super smooth, but it had zero topend.  So I felt this had some potential.  I went to Menard's and bought some different size washers to play with.

The next one I tried (and is still in the bike) had a larger OD and ID.  So it is not in the pipe but is sandwiched between the pipe and the cylinder.  Now it still has improved bottom end, a smooth transition, but now the top end is better.  I have only test ridden it in a field but plan to hit the trails with it today for a real world test.   Before I didn't feel comfortable riding standing up and trying to power up a wheelie like you would do for a log crossing because it didn't have enough meat to get it up, but once it did you better be quick.  Now I can give it throttle and pull up and it will come up smooth similar to me TE250.

I think next I'm going to dremel out the ID of the hole 1/16" -1/8" to get back more top end yet still keep the smooth transition.  This is a fun bike to play with!

I'll try posting pics from my phone...

• Like 1

Out of curiosity what size washer ( Id and od) have you ended up with?

I'm using the one on the right, not sure of measurements.  Runs great IMHO, but I think I'm going to dremel the hole out another 1/8".  That should help get her a little more umph put still keep it smooth.

Edited by Yokomo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Yokomo said:

I can't measure the larger one since it's in the bike.  I just measured the 2nd from the right and it is almost 1 1/2" OD   3/4" ID.

Did you grind down the bigger washers OD to fit in the pipe , if you had to guess the ID of the bigger washer would you say 7/8" or 1" ?

The next one I tried (and is still in the bike) had a larger OD and ID.  So it is not in the pipe but is sandwiched between the pipe and the cylinder.  Now it still has improved bottom end, a smooth transition, but now the top end is better. 

Actually the ID of the larger washer is a little bit smaller than the one I measured.  Doesn't look like that in the pic but it is.

9 hours ago, Yokomo said:

Actually the ID of the larger washer is a little bit smaller than the one I measured.  Doesn't look like that in the pic but it is.

18mm ?

• Like 1

Memory failed me. The larger washer I have in it has a larger ID diameter as well.  It is 7/8".  I just now dremeled it out larger.  Now it is about 1 & 1/16".  The OD diameter of the larger washer is 1 3/4".

Time for a test spin...

Took it for a quik spin.  It still has a pretty smooth transition, but now it has a little more bark when the reeds open.  I would equate it to running a yellow spring in a KTM, and then opening up the dolly screw 1/2-3/4 turn.  I'm liking it!

Edited by Yokomo
  • Like 1