Buying a DRZ 400sm

Hello there,

In about a week, I'm gonna buy myself a DRZ 400 SM 2005 model with about 10 000 miles (16 000 km ) on it, and i was woundering if any one could help me with pointers i could have when i check the bike, like common faults or similar stuff to look out for when test riding etc etc. It's gonna be my first bike, so all tips are appriciated!

main thing is it should start quickly and idle on its own within a few seconds .. i'd look at the fork good both on and off the bike to be sure its straight and make sure nothing else looks like it broad-sided a tree ... look around and under the engine before and after you ride it and there should be zero oil drips - those are the main things and would be a decider of whether to even get it or not  .. lesser things are the brake disks should be smooth and not grooved up .. rims should preferably have no scratches and no dents or damage .. check the final drive and see if the chain guides and rollers are in good shape and rear gear teeth dont look wore out, if they do its money right there for a new chain and gears, same with tires, if theyre about done thats a couple hundred ... if plastics, tank, seat, bars, mirrors,gauge cluster, exhaust. lower links or anything else has been changed see if they have the original parts also and thats a big plus imo ..

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips guys , The guy actually could drive the bike to me today, so im gonna be a proud owner of a DRZ 400 sm which looked insanely mint for the year etc, with all full service history, original pipe, new chain etc etc ? 

Jeez, a hooligan already.  Get good riding apparel, it's not if you crash it's when (do tell us the gory details).  Start your tool collection, good sockets, ratchet, combo wrench set (wrench not wench), speed handle and screw drivers (common and  phillips).  Read the FAQs, ask.  DRZ is a learning friendly machine, no software updates nor blue screen of death.  Bad language is usually reserved for carbs and getting the engine out of the frame.

Oh, welcome aboard.

• Like 1

Jeez, a hooligan already.  Get good riding apparel, it's not if you crash it's when (do tell us the gory details).  Start your tool collection, good sockets, ratchet, combo wrench set (wrench not wench), speed handle and screw drivers (common and  phillips).  Read the FAQs, ask.  DRZ is a learning friendly machine, no software updates nor blue screen of death.  Bad language is usually reserved for carbs and getting the engine out of the frame.
Oh, welcome aboard.

OMG getting the engine into the frame