BSP-K9 upgade first ride report

I just got back from a 2.5 hr. session with K9 kit, and Fox Shock upgrade. Take my evaluation with a grain of salt, as I'm no pro. In a word; Awesome! That was one of the most fun rides I've had in quite awhile. The only thing I have to compare it to is my '07 Honda 450R, set up for woods. It's got Factory Conection valved suspension, and is very dialed in. The XT was SO much fun. I almost looped it twice. First time for that in a coon's age. It's hard to describe what's so different, just everything in general. It is confidence inspiring. I was hitting corners faster, small jumps were very predictable. I had it up  to 49 mph on the one trail long enough to do so, and, although not any where near as comfortable at speed as my Honda( I've done 70 on the same trail), it was sweet, no bad manners. Bottom line; money well spent. Hope this was worth something.

Edited by drumiv
  • Like 3

I just got back from a 2.5 hr. session with K9 kit, and Fox Shock upgrade. Take my evaluation with a grain of salt, as I'm no pro. In a word; Awesome! That was one of the most fun rides I've had in quite awhile. The only thing I have to compare it to is my '07 Honda 450R, set up for woods. It's got Factory Conection valved suspension, and is very dialed in. The XT was SO much fun. I almost looped it twice. First time for that in a coon's age. It's hard to describe what's so different, just everything in general. It is confidence inspiring. I was hitting corners faster, small jumps were very predictable. I had it up  to 49 mph on the one trail long enough to do so, and, although not any where near as comfortable at speed as my Honda( I've done 70 on the same trail), it was sweet, no bad manners. Bottom line; money well spent. Hope this was worth something.

Where did you set your compression? Did you change your rebound?

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Mines done too.

So far I have only rode it around the homestead. To test out the forks, I set up the kid's bike ramp at the top of the drive for some small 25'- 30' hops. Definitely feel the added compression near the end of the stroke. Hopefully the weather improves later and I'll get out to the local spot to get a better feel for it.

Previous to the install I had already switched to 15Wt oil.

For the rebuild I used BelRay 15 Wt @575cc's(550 recommended). I started with the compression & rebound both at 20 in.

I did have an issue with the cartridge spinning while trying to torque the bottom bolt. A quick zap with the impact got it to bite good enough to torque to 30Nm, which I'm declaring as sufficient.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Where did you set your compression? Did you change your rebound?

I had the dealer do the install/set up, so not sure what the settings are at. I was so excited to get the bike, I forgot to ask what he did.

1 hour ago, nimiz1 said:

hi drumiv did you use the K9 spring as wall ?

Not sure. Looking at the invoice, says xtrainer fork spring .82kg. Sorry I don't have  more technical answers, just know it's vastly improved.

thanks , do you have any idea what amount of 15w fork oil used for the forks?

Did some more riding back in my trails.
Bottoming resistance is greatly improved over stock forks with 15 Wt.
Hits that would bottom out sharply are no big deal. The feel on small bumps, trail junk and logs is the same.

If your not happy with the stock forks I would recommend 15wt 1st. If you feel like you still need some more compression and bottoming resistance for bigger hits and don't want to shell out 1200 bucks for new forks, give these a try. Beta should have used these in the 1st place. I wouldn't be surprised if future Xtrainer's have these from the factory.

32 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Beta should have used these in the 1st place. I wouldn't be surprised if future Xtrainer's have these from the factory.

The moment I saw the new cartridge I thought the same thing.  The changes are so minor that little, if any, production tooling change is needed, and virtually no change in assembly.  The decals that come with the package probably cost as much to develop as the cartridge changes, LOL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Did some more riding back in my trails.
Bottoming resistance is greatly improved over stock forks with 15 Wt.

I understand the 16s already use the heavier fork oil so this only applies to 15s.

I understand the 16s already use the heavier fork oil so this only applies to 15s.

I don't know what the factory uses but the manual for my 17 states 5 wt

Switching to 15 was a big difference so I assume it had 5wt from the factory. The bike only had an hour on it when I made the change.

6 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I wouldn't be surprised if future Xtrainer's have these from the factory.

Stay tuned for MY18 XT announcements after the August summer shutdown....

Based on my buddies newer bike:

There are two 17 models. A 17 like a 16 and a 17 rev-2. The 17 rev-2 has a stiffer front and different handlebar controls. What they did exactly we can't figure out but his rides higher and is stiffer than mine was when stock.

hi ohiodrz400sm

the instructions said 550cc on the left fork and only 525cc on the spring side fork and not as you said 550cc to the both sides.

• Like 1

Based on my buddies newer bike:  

There are two 17 models. A 17 like a 16 and a 17 rev-2. The 17 rev-2 has a stiffer front and different handlebar controls. What they did exactly we can't figure out but his rides higher and is stiffer than mine was when stock.

Do you know when the split was? My 17 arrived in May, one of, if not the last shipment of bikes. I have the map switch and a different instrument switch than the 16 model.

They must of forgot the stiffer front end...

Did you look at the preload setting? It makes a noticable difference.