Jump to content

1999 MXC 380 or 2004 EXC 250

Recommended Posts

I have the chance at buying either of the bikes listed for the same price.  I live in the Midwest and ride mostly fire roads and tighter trails. Both bikes are in nice condition. 380 has extra weight added to flywheel to calm it down a bit. What are the pros/cons of each bike, reliability, parts availability on both bikes. Looking for general input to help make a decision. 

 

Thanks in advance...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I vote exc250. I ride single track fairly tight and weigh 165 and I wouldn't want any more lbs than that. 

Edited by Builderdude
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. I've owned both at the same time too.

380 was a twat to kick over (bare in mind I had a cr500 too which was easy in comparison ), vibration was high. Parts were easy to get as most of the parts swap over from a 250.

In standard form they don't make much more power than a 250 but they do make more torque low down, it's still not earth shattering like on the 500. 

I think the problem was the crankcase design was still a modded 250 one so it had too little crankcase volume hence the bhp numbers really weren't what they should have been.

It's a bike I always wanted to love but never gelled with it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, stv1991 said:

I have the chance at buying either of the bikes listed for the same price.  I live in the Midwest and ride mostly fire roads and tighter trails. Both bikes are in nice condition. 380 has extra weight added to flywheel to calm it down a bit. What are the pros/cons of each bike, reliability, parts availability on both bikes. Looking for general input to help make a decision. 

 

Thanks in advance...

Hands down...2004 250 EXC. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The older bike, the 380 had really mushy suspension - and probably every seal in the engine and tranny is dried up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I concur with others, jump on the 250 for the tight stuff. Many love the 380- but would be more of a handful in the tight. Also updated suspension and such on the 250.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jekel said:

I concur with others, jump on the 250 for the tight stuff. Many love the 380- but would be more of a handful in the tight. Also updated suspension and such on the 250.

The 1999 380 fork is better IMO then the 2004 fork for trail/ enduro use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MentalGuru said:

The 1999 380 fork is better IMO then the 2004 fork for trail/ enduro use. 

did it still have the 50mm zochi?

that was a great fork.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jekel said:

did it still have the 50mm zochi?

that was a great fork.

Yup, just update the rear shock with a 2006 or the swingarm and shock from an '08-'16 or so model and it would be sweet.  '07 varies depending on the model.  The later shock can be used too is it's shortened slightly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MentalGuru said:

Yup, just update the rear shock with a 2006 or the swingarm and shock from an '08-'16 or so model and it would be sweet.  '07 varies depending on the model.  The later shock can be used too is it's shortened slightly. 

Good to know, as I may get an older model for a back up bike:-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jekel said:

Good to know, as I may get an older model for a back up bike:-)

It's pretty easy to swap the tank and plastics from a '98-'02 model over to '03-06 stuff and some have used even newer parts too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without a decompression hole drilled the 380 takes a firm kick. It wasn't stock on the 99. It's pretty vibey and thirsty too.  Without fixing the squish they're impossible to jet perfect. Tuned well its  fantastic on faster trails though. 

 

 Buy the 250. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After thinking about it, I forked out some extra cash and picked up a 2010 KTM 300 XC-W with 74 original hours. I think that's a better choice than both of the others!

This will be my first KTM and I'm excited about it 

Edited by stv1991
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×