Clutch engages too fast when engine is HOT

Hello guys an gals .

My KX 125 - recently bought  is running awesome super - most of the times .

When she does not run so fine , she tends to want to fully engage the clutch when  i pull 50% . 

Normally warm or cold at 50% pull i can rev the engine in gear and brake pressed , or not pres brake and slowly catch speed on  .

But when HOT at 50%  clutch pull  still drags like 0% clutch pull  .

I forgot to tell you that I ride Enduro , not motocross , and clutch accuracy is a MUST .

Hello @SDet

The Oil , i have no idea , it was also my first thorough as well as the plates .

I just wanted to exclude these 2 possibilityes before I  dig in , to find out if there are also more possible causes to this behavior .  

So, I'd try changing your oil first. It sounds like the plates are swelling when hot. They shouldn't, but the wrong oil, or contamination can cause this. Just use the factory recommended oil to get a base line. You can play with different oils after things are working properly. 

Report back when you do. 

• Like 1

The steel plates are warped.  As they heat up the warp gets worse which causes the problem you are describing.  Replace the steel plates and probably the fibre ones as well just to be sure.  Fibre plates are cheap.

• Like 1

And check the basket fingers for grooving while you are in there. You can file the bumps flat, but only so many times before the basket fingers get too narrow so the plate tabs have too much gap and hammer too much with on/off throttle use.  Like worn valves in a 4 stroke, can shim once but it's the beginning of the end.

Had a rm250 that was like that. Found a broken fiber plate (cracked in half) and grooves in the basket.

All new plates and a bit of filing and it was smooth as silk at any temp. Used rotella dino in the case.

Hello everybody,

Ordered the plates , and will soon buy some oil to replace the old one .

Oil can be found at any car service shop  but plates will take some tome to get here .....

Ok guys , thank you all for the input you gave me . I consider this thread closed now