LED flasher indicator dash question

Question from an electrical noob.... I've converted my 01 DRZ400E to all LEDs, & had to hook up an LED flasher to make the blinkers flash correctly.  I recently purchased a few LED dash indicator bulbs & plan on making a small custom dash panel to show R-blinker, L-blinker, & brights.  My wiring harness already has hookups for the brights indicator (it's a Baja Designs enduro kit), so I'm wondering what I need to do to for the L/R blinker indicators.  I've read a little about diodes, but don't fully grasp the purpose of them.  Can I just wire in each indicator bulb to their respective blinker wires?  Or is it a little more complicated than that?  Any help on where I need to go from here would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Just now, 74jimbo said:

Pretty simple circuit

Should already be wired.

So no need for a diode kit?  Just splice in each indicator to their respective turn signal wires?

yeah you should be fine, the indicator isn't a bulb that is going to be backfeeding and pulling so much power that it is going to mess anyhting else up.

I just installed a flasher unit for LEDs after I put on rears, and it blinks the regular speed with my oem front lights and led rears.... before the unit, it blinked super fast

If you use separate leds for L and R you don't need diodes . If you use a single indicator you probably will need them.

A diode is like a check (one way) valve to prevent electricity from going to an undesired circuit.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2017 at 3:20 PM, Rhinoracer said:

If you use separate leds for L and R you don't need diodes . If you use a single indicator you probably will need them.

A diode is like a check (one way) valve to prevent electricity from going to an undesired circuit.

So I got them hooked up, one dash light for each side, & the one on the side that I flip on my signals lights up but stays lit. I can see its flashing very vaguely but essentially it goes from bright to dim over & over. I'm wondering if i need to splice them in on the circuit AFTER the flasher relay? Right now they're wired in to the pos/neg coming directly off each front blinker. You think im on the right track? If so there is a red wire & black wire coming from the flasher, do I hook both dash indicators to those or would that make them both flash regardless of which side is actively blinking?

Image_236.jpg

Image_237.jpg

Yes, you need to feed them from the same wires that feed the signals (after the flasher).

If you use power to the flasher (from the switch to the flasher you'll get constant voltage) .

Typically a diode bridge is built so you can isolate the two signals. Never built one myself, but I bought one for my Harley so that the indicators work as brake lights, provided the indicator isn't selected on that side.