I've been looking for a while for a dual sport to back-n-forth to the gas station with. Found a non-running 1982 SP250 with 600 original miles, got it cheap, it's clean as can be. 

I figured carb issues since the compression is great, first no fuel at all, everything looked good finally figured out someone had the float on upside down... flipped it over and got er going straight away. But it's running super lean, and is hard to start, won't run well until past mid throttle. It sputters and backfires like hell. 

Intake boot and oring are good, air box and filter are good, carb is clean, diaphragm is good spark plug is new (and whiteish brown). The main jet is #125. I'm at 1,200' msl. I have to order online, anyone have experience with these carbs? Should a #140 help? Or am I missing something else in my trouble shooting? 

More than likely the stator is rotted away, or some part of the harness leaving the stator or battery backbone wiring is corroded, and arcing.

A carb that old should be removed, dissassembled, and soaked in Pine Sol for a couple of days, and then have all the soft components replaced.