Help with vintage yz

cam stopper and spring are in the oil drain bolt

IMG_2119.JPG

IMG_2120.JPG

maybe, try to find a similar pin and spring? The pin in my '78 YZ250 measured 0.3525 dia and 0.956 long with a radius and oil hole on the end.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:25 PM, Sofiedog said:

cam stopper and spring are in the oil drain bolt

IMG_2119.JPG

IMG_2120.JPG

maybe, try to find a similar pin and spring? The pin in my '78 YZ250 measured 0.3525 dia and 0.956 long with a radius and oil hole on the end.

Hey Sofiedog,  Any way you could get me the diameter and depth of the large hole on this pin?

Mine is missing too!!

Thanks!

Hey Sofiedog,  Any way you could get me the diameter and depth of the large hole on this pin?
Mine is missing too!!
Thanks!

I can...I have to drain the oil and change the crank seals before I can ride it anymore...might as well get started...
IMG_5092.JPG
she's hibernating...

Don't tear it down just for that.  I thought you might still have it apart based on the photos...but that has been a while ago!

BTW, I have a few bikes that look just like the one in your last pic.

Thanks

There's ONE on ebay right now!  Get it!  

OP, if you can't find one, PM me.  Maybe I can work something out.

I just realized how old this orig. post is.  I'm sure he's figured out something by now.

Edited by motoxvet
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sofiedog said:

you got one? nice...I may take more pictures and measurements of mine anyway so I can have one made if this one gets lost...

I can see how they get lost.  At least the pin and spring.  It goes like this -  "Hey, gotta drain that oil. There's the drain plug, pull it out.  Oops, what was that?".  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Sofiedog said:

you got one? nice...I may take more pictures and measurements of mine anyway so I can have one made if this one gets lost...

Good idea!  Luckily the spring, bolt and washer are still available through Yamaha.

Edited by Pygmy Warrior

21 minutes ago, motoxvet said:

I can see how they get lost.  At least the pin and spring.  It goes like this -  "Hey, gotta drain that oil. There's the drain plug, pull it out.  Oops, what was that?".  

I just bought the bike about a month ago and when I changed the oil I noticed it was gone.  That explains why it doesn't shift right and jumps into neutral when shifting into the upper gears.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pygmy Warrior said:

I just bought the bike about a month ago and when I changed the oil I noticed it was gone.  That explains why it doesn't shift right and jumps into neutral when shifting into the upper gears.

wow...that's great...good progress!

Regarding sellers that say they sell "OEM PARTS", they all are not created equal.  I've looked for some parts for a vintage bike and I was so bummed the parts house said "NLA" or "OBSOLETE" for my parts.  Out of desperation, I started looking at other "OEM PARTS" sellers.  I found the part at a different parts house.  It's like some of the parts houses don't want to deal with vintage, low volume parts so they just label those parts as "NLA" .