Bought new DRZ400s 2005, first bike, beginner rider...

Greetings.

I am 22 y.o. guy who lives in Iceland. Haven't bought the bike yet but agreed on terms and paid the insuarence already. Soon it shall be mine!

I am no mechanicher and currently have no opinions about that kind of stuff, but I am a good learner.

The reason why I wanted to buy DRZ, because I could ride it anywhere I want and figure out if I am a offroad rider or road. Also, people said that it is easy to mod, reliable, so I can also learn how to take care of a motorcycle, how to mod it etc etc. I kind of think that I made a good choice by DRZ400s.

This topic has been around maybe billion times and you wrote trillion times, but I kindly ask you to do it once more...

I will have a chance to ride it 1-2 months, then there is the winter... And trust me, winder is really though in Iceland. So I will be busy with ordering stuff and modding my bike during that period.

Which mods are MUST have and easy to install for a beginner? What accecories are also must have? I need a high quality 4 season, %50/%50 tires until I figure out what kind of tires I actually want.

Every information is written on the internet and youtube tells a lot but still, it always feels more connected when you get direct advices.

Thank you so much.

• Like 1

Nice! You'll love it...I found myself I'm the same exact situation a few months ago. Same age, same bike, same train of thought in terms of buying a dual sport to find out what kind of riding I would mostly be doing. Turns out I ride more street than I do trails, but I went ahead and bought another set of rims and tires so I can have dedicated full off road and full on road tires. I still ride enough dirt to make it worth having 2 full sets of tires with different sprockets.

Sent from my Pixel using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 2

The 3X3, jetting and exhaust mod is a good one. Dunlop 606's are good off-road and give up very little on road.

Sounds like the winter will be modidis season for you! :D

Congrats on the new bike and welcome!

Tires and rim locks are really important if you will be using it off road. Dunlop d606 is probably a good starting point because it is fairly capable off road and will give you a good base for reference.

Now make it fit you, bars, risers, rm pegs, comfy seat, whatever you think will make it more comfortable to ride.

Next is bike protection, skid plate, hand guards, rear fender/turn signal eliminator, case savers and rear disc shark fin.

Now that it has tires, protection and is comfortable you will want more power. Jd jet kit, 3x3 mod, full exhaust, and gearing are the best places to start.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ThumperTalk mobile app

Greetings.

I am 22 y.o. guy who lives in Iceland. Haven't bought the bike yet but agreed on terms and paid the insuarence already. Soon it shall be mine!
I am no mechanicher and currently have no opinions about that kind of stuff, but I am a good learner.
The reason why I wanted to buy DRZ, because I could ride it anywhere I want and figure out if I am a offroad rider or road. Also, people said that it is easy to mod, reliable, so I can also learn how to take care of a motorcycle, how to mod it etc etc. I kind of think that I made a good choice by DRZ400s.
This topic has been around maybe billion times and you wrote trillion times, but I kindly ask you to do it once more...
I will have a chance to ride it 1-2 months, then there is the winter... And trust me, winder is really though in Iceland. So I will be busy with ordering stuff and modding my bike during that period.
Which mods are MUST have and easy to install for a beginner? What accecories are also must have? I need a high quality 4 season, %50/%50 tires until I figure out what kind of tires I actually want.
Every information is written on the internet and youtube tells a lot but still, it always feels more connected when you get direct advices.

Thank you so much.

Your English is really good. You'll find everything you need on this site as a resource, and lots of stuff you don't! Post up some pics of your bike when you pick it up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app