85 XR350 pig on accel won't hot start

I bought a 1985 EXR 350 (single carb version). It starts up just fine when it's cold -- quarter choke. It smokes a bit at first. It rips on quarter throttle. Half throttle to full throttle is horrible. Sputters, and bogs down with no response on full throttle. what's even worse than that, if I turn it off when it's warm, it won't start again until it's fully cold. Air filter is clean. And also tried messing with the fuel carb screw -- turning in to make it lean. No change at all. Sucking pig at half-to-full throttle. Any ideas?

Unless there is some thing horribly wrong on the inside of the motor the bike should preform very well. I have one! Now on poor acceleration you may try tuning your idle up. Another thing is to adjust your (air screw) or pilot jet, turn it all the way in and then back it out 1&1/2 turns. It'a a hard booger to get to if you have large hands. When the carb is on bike. I've got a little short straight blade screw driver 1&1/2" long. Now if you decide to remove pilot screw be very careful and not lose the tiny little "O" ring! If you just acquired the beast you maybe better off to remove carb and give it a good cleaning and make the adjustments needed. Pilot screw air passage clean with low compressed air, remember "O" rings. needle set in 3rd groove, float adjusted to 0.49". Check your needle seat and make sire the rubber seat on end of needle is not worn, may have to be replaced? Slow jet should be a 50 but this depends on altitude! Always use low psi air when cleaning carb. Now the hard starting when hot can be a problem. First I would turn off gas, then pull in decompression lever, the kick her over 5-6 times and the go through your starting procedure on these beasts. If it starts real good when cold then I rule out valve adjustment's. The bog on acceleration and hot start problem is in the carb. Then when I crash my 350! Which I'm prone to do! I just cut the gas off pull in the decompression lever hold the throttle wide open and kick 5-7 times. I that doesn't work I get out my trusty long screw driver and drain the gas bowel. This always works! Good luck

• Like 1

It's always fuel when that hat happens, open up the carb check the jets and the emulsion tube, valve clearance and it should be fine, it will still be. PITA to start when it's hot because it's and XR350R but it will start.