Can broken reeds damage motor?

15 hours ago, CRJohnny said:

No , that's why they are made from soft material 

my reeds are made of carbon fiber. of course broken reeds can damage a motor.

• Like 1

Just did a ktm65 engine was seized up from finger nail size peice peice of carbon fiber reed stuck between case and crank half. But also seen them do no damaged when broke 

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 1

If just the corners chipped you may be fine, but it WILL destroy you engine if they really break. Just because carbon fiber might be soft doesn't mean it's not going to destroy your engine. They don't build these things with enough room to have carbon fiber chunks floating around. 

Just now, Hudson Charlton said:

If just the corners chipped you may be fine, but it WILL destroy you engine if they really break. Just because carbon fiber might be soft doesn't mean it's not going to destroy your engine. They don't build these things with enough room to have carbon fiber chunks floating around. 

carbon fiber is NOT soft.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jacobwebb236 said:

What about regular reeds and not carbon fiber?

Im sure they can damage a motor too.  if the only reason your worried about engine damage is because you saw your reeds then is there really a reason to worry?

Im sure they can damage a motor too.  if the only reason your worried about engine damage is because you saw your reeds then is there really a reason to worry?

It was running like shit and wouldnt start so that's why I was worried. I'll find out in a couple days when I change them. Motor still has a lot of compression

4 hours ago, jacobwebb236 said:

It was running like shit and wouldnt start so that's why I was worried. I'll find out in a couple days when I change them. Motor still has a lot of compression

the only accurate way I know of to use a compression tester is to test it when the engine is new just after break in and base future readings off of that one using the same gauge under the same circumstances (same temp, elevation, humidity and what not). even though you have great compression is could have dropped significantly since the reeds broke. another thing that's helpful to know is if the reed broke off in a chunk or if it was a slowly progressing problem. the reed could also have been broken for a long time ago well before you experienced problems.

FYI carbon fiber (and to a lesser degree fiberglass) is EXTREMELY abrasive.  So if a piece got ground up in a bearing, you can plan on replacing that bearing in short order.  Mostly, I think they either fray gradually or pass through completely.  Neither failure mode is generally damaging except to your ride quality!

• Like 1

That's what I like to hear. What brand of reeds?
I actually just ordered vforce for my rocket ship.

Boyesen, I had to modify them a little bit to fit the screws. I'll probably invest in some vforce reeds later on

Boyesen, I had to modify them a little bit to fit the screws. I'll probably invest in some vforce reeds later on

That's odd. You remove the metal guards when you put Boyesen paddles in correct? That's kind of why I went vforce too was because they are screw- less.

Btw those are the same graphics I have. I have never found a better deal yet. Used 2 sets on my past and current bikes. There not junk like you would expect them to be for having a low price tag.

That's odd. You remove the metal guards when you put Boyesen paddles in correct? That's kind of why I went vforce too was because they are screw- less.

Yea, the screws holes were too far apart
  • Like 1