Xr400r not starting from kick

Hi all, i'am new at the enduro world..Just got 97 xr400r .. i like this bike, but few days after i got it, my bike started to show me some negativnes Fird of all, my carb membrane has a little hole in it, maybe it's a reason not starting from kick? I can start it from the push if no problems, but not from the kick

I don't think that would keep it from starting, but it would effect its running. If there's a hole in it, replace it. I can see it looks pretty cracked.

You must use the kick start to bring the engine to TDC for every starting kick. It's not like a 2 stroke where you can start the kick from anywhere in the stroke.

First start of the day on a cold engine, use full choke, do not touch the throttle.

Tight valve clearances cause difficult starting. So does a dirty, gummed up fuel screw passage.

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 1

i ordered few parts anyway,

16168-382-014
16010-KCY-670
16048-KCY-670
30700-KCZ-000

i noticed, choke plate in the picture has a freeplay, but i'am not sure, is it may be the reason 

20369034_1464493240255291_5277043785991328415_o.jpg

Low compression and weak spark will lead to hard start and bump start only. Maybe it just needs a fresh top end

The backfire flap of the choke plate is missing, along with it's spring. That's one reason why it's hard to start. When you set the choke to ON, it's not doing you any good when there's a huge hole that the carb can still draw air thru.

I wonder if a previous owner removed it for some reason or if it broke and was ingested into the engine, which is not uncommon.

You should replace the stock cast choke plate with the stainless steel XRs Only piece, or fashion one yourself, which a few guys here have done. The cast plate has been known to fracture and become ingested too.

Edited by Trailryder42

ok, just did the cleaning work, got new membrane, made a flap with few holes.. but now i even cant start it from the push

after trying to start it have you pulled the plug to see if its wet with fuel???? have you checked the spark?? at the end of the day it has to be fuel, spark or compression

check the plug and see where its at and even give it a prime of fuel down the plug hole b4 putting the plug back in. then try to start if it fires on a prime then your not getting fuel through.  might need to go through the carb more vigorously and check jetting and idle screw and the intake boot(between the carb and engine) and o ring to be sure it is not leaking air. good luck and let us know how you go......cheers

Ok, i have a spark, but made new lead anyway.. bet i left fuel tank open, removed car drain bolt to drain the fuel, but its empty...

Hate to be a negative nancy, but if it were me...Id go inside that motor. As deep as lifting head and looking down cylinder. People dont take that choke plate off, generally speaking. Unless they saw it about to break and removed it. But you know how doubtful that is? You know how many choke plates Ive seen sucked in by motors? Tens, twenties. You know how many bikes Ive seen where someone removed their choke plate completely as a preventive measure? ZERO. Ive never ever seen someone do it. If they have enough sense that it needs to be off, then they have enough sense to get thexrsonly one for dollars. 

Theres no way Id ride or even start this motor if I saw that. Whether its in the motor or not, wondering would kill me. Id want to ride with confidence. No way Im confident not being certain that choke plates not inside my motor capable of causing hundreds in damage. New head gasket...doubtfully needed but new valve cover gasket, and an hour or two, then youll get your confidence you have no metal floating through your motor...

I am the stinker around here...but also I am right alot.

Im uncomfortable even LOOKing at that picture cause it makes me wonder so much.

But get your carb everything thats soft, get new. Id even get NEW jets. 

Get your valves right...its too easy not to. Then go from there.

But I wouldn't run this bike one more time without seeing the cylinder.

Poopy, I know, but truth hurts

If no fuel is coming out of the carb drain, then that is a problem to figure out as well. Either float is stuck up or needle is stuck in the seat. Maybe fuel line is plugged or for some reason fuel is not getting to the carb.  

What the previous guy said might be right as well. 

I have a 1997 xr400r myself and now I'm worried about my choke. Where do you get this xrsonly choke plate. Is it still available?  I really like to keep my bike all stock and I've had good luck so far all these years. Starts and runs fine. 

Edited by Toadster25

it's been running before i did a carb cleaning, my plan was make few rides in the woods before winter time, in winter i planed to rebuilt the engine, because it's burning oil, paint frame ant overall look off the bike, but it's seems to be wrong idea.. at the moment i'am angry on myself, why i did buy this bike.. the guy who rode this bike before me cut all the wires from lights, painted with wood paints :D

ok, enough of tears :D how should i check compression? same ass car?

So, good news, my xr starting from first kick, i made a mistake in assembling my carb..
It runs fine for now.
but now i need more work to do with front headlight.. Any suggestions what to use?

• Like 1