Saving Batey-Bould

The USFS has issued a closure order for the Batey-Bould Trail System.  The reasons for the closure order are contained in the "Trail System Assessment" found at the link.

However, before the shutdown order is enforced, PANTRA has agreed to rebuild the two bridges that have failed in exchange to lift the closure order.

We are having a campout on August 12th & 13th to rebuild the highest priority bridge (Tacoma Creek Bridge) in the trail system.

We have already had several meetings and had a walk-in site visit with the Forest Service to the Tacoma Creek crossing. We went over the specs and identified the stringers for this first bridge in the system.  These bridge specs will be a template for the other bridges in the system that we will need replace or repair.

PANTRA will provide breakfast and dinner on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday.  We will also provide snacks throughout the day(s).  So we will know how much food is needed, please register here on our website with the number of people you will be attending with.  You do not have to be a member...we can use all the help we can get!

If you can only come on one day, please put which day in the note section when you register.

We will have to ferry material, hardware, and tools to the construction site so bring your bike and any related construction tools you have that might be useful.  If we have time and enough help, we may ride the 7.5 miles to the bridge that is second on the priority list to get rebuilt and start on that one too.

BB-1.jpg

Tacoma-Bridge-2.jpg

P1040714.JPG

BB-TC-CAMPSITE.jpg

BB-3.jpg

BB-4.jpg

• Like 2

cant make it over to Idaho any time soon but I must say as a Washingtonian, PANTRA rocks that state!

6 minutes ago, cougbike said:

cant make it over to Idaho any time soon but I must say as a Washingtonian, PANTRA rocks that state!

Thanks!  But Batey-Bould is in Washington. We try to rock the eastern part of that state too. :ride:

• Like 2

seems there used to be a route from up near Salmo lookout to upper Priest lake, then one could ride down to Priest. Not sure if that is even still possible. Is there a dirt route from Priest to Lake Pend Orielle and then to Gold Creek lodge? My adventure brain is stirring

21 minutes ago, Slackkinhard said:

seems there used to be a route from up near Salmo lookout to upper Priest lake, then one could ride down to Priest. Not sure if that is even still possible. Is there a dirt route from Priest to Lake Pend Orielle and then to Gold Creek lodge? My adventure brain is stirring

It's not possible to ride from Salmo to upper Priest Lake.  Salmo area is designated wilderness and all the trails on the Idaho side around upper Priest Lake are non-motorized.

It's also not possible to ride dirt from Priest Lake to Gold Creek Lodge.  At the minimum if you took the back unpaved roads, you would have 60+ miles of pavement to get from Priest Lake to Gold Creek Lodge.

You can look at the map on this link (http://pantra.org/where-to-ride/independence-creek-trail-system/gold-creek-lodge/) and see there's a big hole of no trails or dirt roads between the two.  Yellow = single-track, orange = double-track, brown = dirt roads, and red = non-motorized.

• Like 1

Prior to 1984, there were routes...I just haven't been out there in a few years. Can ya still ride up from Sullivan lake to the Salmo lookout?

1 hour ago, Slackkinhard said:

Prior to 1984, there were routes...I just haven't been out there in a few years. Can ya still ride up from Sullivan lake to the Salmo lookout?

I don't think there's any trails, but there is a FS road that will take you there from Sullivan.  The Salmo-Priest Wilderness surrounds the lookout on all sides excluding the drainage that has the access road to the tower.

Interesting read!

The USFS discusses use and maintenance as big factors. So, when too few people use a trail system, it isn't maintained, they become ripe for closure. Gee, who'd a thunk it?

But here at Thumper Talk there is so much talk about keeping trails a secret....even the ones that are listed on Rider Planet!

Best of luck in saving this trail system, and may it be a lesson to all riders that it's in our best interest to work together in keeping the trails viable. 

I can't make both days and will probably need to leave early at that. Which day/timeframe would be best. No need for snack or breakfast for me.

1 hour ago, Wonderspoon said:

I can't make both days and will probably need to leave early at that. Which day/timeframe would be best. No need for snack or breakfast for me.

Saturday morning will be the biggest help.  We have to pack in material and tools, tear down and scatter the existing bridge, drop and strip the three 30' stringers, build the foundation for the stringers to sit on, etc...

This is a huge project that we will be lucky to finish in two or three days.  There will be no shortage of help needed on either Saturday or Sunday so whatever day works best for you.

2 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

Interesting read!

The USFS discusses use and maintenance as big factors. So, when too few people use a trail system, it isn't maintained, they become ripe for closure. Gee, who'd a thunk it?

But here at Thumper Talk there is so much talk about keeping trails a secret....even the ones that are listed on Rider Planet!

Best of luck in saving this trail system, and may it be a lesson to all riders that it's in our best interest to work together in keeping the trails viable. 

There's no shortage of use for Batey-Bould.  The biggest problem is lack of maintenance by the trail managers over the decades.  There's always been grant money available for maintenance but the trail manager/district ranger has never apply for it.  We're working on changing that too...

• Like 2

Saturday morning will be the biggest help.  We have to pack in material and tools, tear down and scatter the existing bridge, drop and strip the three 30' stringers, build the foundation for the stringers to sit on, etc...
This is a huge project that we will be lucky to finish in two or three days.  There will be no shortage of help needed on either Saturday or Sunday so whatever day works best for you.

Sounds good. When do you anticipate work will begin?

2 minutes ago, Wonderspoon said:

Sounds good. When do you anticipate work will begin?

After we feed everyone breakfast.  So 8:00 ish?  Just found out we're going to cut the stringers down on the 5th so that part will be out of the way.

After we feed everyone breakfast.  So 8:00 ish?  Just found out we're going to cut the stringers down on the 5th so that part will be out of the way.

Sweet. I'm task oriented since having children. Just trying to maximize productivity. I'll be there.

On 7/24/2017 at 5:55 PM, TigerTanker said:

But here at Thumper Talk there is so much talk about keeping trails a secret....

It only takes one guy with a chainsaw, Pulaski and the right attitude to keep most trails upkept, usable and looking respectable. 

It also only takes one guy with a 50hp MX bike to read about a trail online and go destroy it with ignorance and incompetence.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ITLKSEZ said:

It only takes one guy with a chainsaw, Pulaski and the right attitude to keep most trails upkept, usable and looking respectable. 

It also only takes one guy with a 50hp MX bike to read about a trail online and go destroy it with ignorance and incompetence.  

retracted

Edited by TigerTanker
for peace

8 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

Wow, no kidding huh? A guy in just one ride can destroy an entire trail by himself in one ride? Dang, what a fragile little planet we live on. You clearly didn't read the report. It clearly discusses the importance of how much use/interest there is by moto riders regarding whether a trail system is viable or not. 

Thanks for reminding me why I quit coming here. You. Dick. 

1 hour ago, ITLKSEZ said:

Thanks for reminding me why I quit coming here. You. Dick. 

retracted

Edited by TigerTanker

42 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

In Idaho, one bike destroys the planet. Yes, you clearly have no time here, must fix the damage of a bike that isn't ridden as dilligently as only you know how to ride....

No, I have no time because I have a loving family and a successful career.

The spare time I do have is spent volunteering to bring our fragile and most neglected trails back from the brink. Yes, some are absolutely delicate enough to be destroyed by one spinning tire. I'd invite you to see for yourself, but I don't want to have to clean up your mess. Plus, your posts nauseate me; I can't imagine what you're like in person. 

Sorry for the thread derailment, guys. Kudos for the work you're doing at Batey. 

Edited by ITLKSEZ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ITLKSEZ said:

No, I have no time because I have a loving family and a successful career.

The spare time I do have is spent volunteering to bring our fragile and most neglected trails back from the brink. Yes, some are absolutely delicate enough to be destroyed by one spinning tire. I'd invite you to see for yourself, but I don't want to have to clean up your mess. Plus, your posts nauseate me; I can't imagine what your like in person. 

Sorry for the thread derailment, guys. Kudos for the work you're doing at Batey. 

retracted

Edited by TigerTanker