Front wheel drama

Possibly looking for new front wheel. Mine is stained pretty bad from previous owner. Debating what to do. The rear cleaned up fine. It's black 17x3.5 excel. Thx, Ken

Consider powder coating. My hubs looked terrible and I was committed to replacing them. A friend suggested powder coating and for $30 (plus bearings) the hubs look new. 

• Like 2

i'd puff can it before i bought a new wheel .. but yeah, if you could disassemble it you could powder coat the hub, get the rim anodized, polish your spokes up good, get some new nipples ect for im sure alot less than a new rim .....

I thought about Powdercoat but there's no one close to me. Really don't want to take the bike apart mid summer. My only hope would be a nice used wheel that I could swap it and not lose ride time. Or just wait till winter to fix it. Not sure if l can wait that long lol.  

1 minute ago, 74jimbo said:

this is a cosmetic issue?

Yes, wheel seems fine. Stained and a few gouges

oh, then just wait till you park it for the winter

my bike needs tires.... but my seized piston and trashed wall is a more pressing issue

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 74jimbo said:

oh, then just wait till you park it for the winter

my bike needs tires.... but my seized piston and trashed wall is a more pressing issue

I hear ya. Good luck with your issues. 

well I guess it doesn't need tires, but the dunlop d606 are not the most freeway friendly... and so far, out of my 1k miles I have put on, 100% has been street

A new SM wheel will set you back nearly $500, a used one won't be much less. You'll be far ahead cleaning up the one you have.

Edited by ptgarcia
  • Like 1

A new SM wheel will set you back nearly $500, a used one won't be much less. You'll be far ahead cleaning up the one you have.

Yeah I think we're gonna airbrush it for now n see how it goes. Only ride street so I think it will be ok painted. If it gets jacked up I'll get it Powdercoated in the winter. Don't wanna loose the bike mid season.

For those advocating disassembling the wheel - by all accounts I've heard from local bike shops, this is no small endeavor since it will have to be trued again.

For those advocating disassembling the wheel - by all accounts I've heard from local bike shops, this is no small endeavor since it will have to be trued again.

True very true

Not bad for a couple guys in the garage. image.png.254d6398b5dfde206746cbe77cb94553.png

Edited by Ondastreet
  • Like 1