Exhaust

Want to put a new aftermarket system on my 06 crf450x . Any suggestions? Should I buy both head pipe and baffle? Can I just do the baffle? 

Does the bike need to be tuned to the new system? Thanks Jim 

Is pricing a concern? Cause slip ons are much cheaper than a full system.

I have a full Yoshimura RS2 system on my 2009 450X and I'm very happy with it. It has a nice deep sound to it and looks good.

I did have to play with the idle control screw and the fuel screw to make it happy.

Also how much adjustment do you want to do. I believe FMF recommends putting Jetting kit in when installing one of their pipes. Mine already had a JD Jetting kit when I installed it, so I don't know how they do running stock.

As for going with just the slip on versus a whole system, I think either one would work. If you went with FMF you have the option of getting a megabomb or powerbomb header and those supposedly reduce sound. My friend is running just a Powercore 2 slip-on on his 2008 250X and it runs great and sounds great. Either one is a good choice, as long as you get rid of the stock hahaha

Pricing is always a concern work to hard to spend it on shit !!!! Just want best product for my machine!! So that being said. Ordered the rs2 full system and the Jd jetting kit . Had it  overnighted so I can put it on for my weekend trip . Super stoked can't wait till Saturday. Let ya know how it goes ! Thanks for the advice. Wasn't really sure witch way I wanted to go. Totally wanted the best system for my bike !! 

Pricing is always a concern work to hard to spend it on shit !!!! Just want best product for my machine!! So that being said. Ordered the rs2 full system and the Jd jetting kit . Had it  overnighted so I can put it on for my weekend trip . Super stoked can't wait till Saturday. Let ya know how it goes ! Thanks for the advice. Wasn't really sure witch way I wanted to go. Totally wanted the best system for my bike !! 

Good to hear. I've been quite happy with my Yoshimura since I've installed it. Also here's a friendly tip: use some Loctite Anti-Seize between the pieces of the pipe when installing it so you can take it back off later. And also my RS-2 had 100000 packing peanuts in it so it might make a mess.
And those JD jet kits are great. The instructions are pretty straight foward.
If you got any question just ask, I'll try to answer them as best I can and as soon as possible

Ya what mess peanuts everywhere thanks to my 7 yr old (Apprentice) . Bike runs great (sounds even better) haven't put the new jet kit in yet it tuned perty good with the fuel air screw . Have a few other things gor the carb on the way so figured it's running just fine with the way it's set up for this weekend. Definitely putting them in next week with the Boyesen power wing and bowl. Thanks again that pipe does look sweet . 

Have a lot of things I want to go to this bike so I might be bouncing ideas of ya every once in a while. Like the air box mod. ?? Really worth cutting that much of my box away? Looks like you cut the hole top off ? Have you or anyone you know done this ? Also have been told that up grading my accelerator pump???

Anything you have done that works well for you let me know . Thanks again!! Jim 

Good to hear, glad you like it. FMF promotes more but you pay more for the name. Let me know how that power wing works for you. I've heard about it but never thought about getting it. Don't know how much it helps.

So I have heard about the air box mod but I've never been a fan of the idea of it, so I've never done it to my bike. Don't like the idea of letting that much dirt get into my air box, it gets dirty anough as it is. But from my understanding, yeah just cut the top open. I just googled it and it looks like some people drill into it which I wouldn't mind doing. Just don't like doing something I can't undo.

I have heard of the accelerator pump upgrade and I actually plan on purchasing next chance I get. I've heard it's as close as you get to electronic fuel injection for carborated bikes.

As for everything else, first thing I did was put a 3.2 gallon tank on, I like to go for long rides. I also added a TrailTech display that tells me outside temp, bike temp, bike speed, and has an odometer. Also added Sunline Break Away levers and Acrebris X-Factory handlebarguards. Been happy with all of it but I think that's it. Haven't done much performance wise. I did go down to a 50 tooth rear sprocket and I'm not happy with that. Lost some torque on the bottom end and going to switch back asap. But other than all that, I don't think I've done much else.

Many guys open up the airbox. Its a common mod described in this forum and even in the dirt bike magazines of the day.

Runs best that way when rejetted with a more free flowing exhaust. I pulled the snorkle out, put a couple holes on top and a couple on the sides of the airbox.

It will get more dirty...its a dirt bike. I have two air filters so I always have a clean one ready after a dusty AZ ride.

• Like 1

So not sure what exactly the wing is doing!! Was told by friend that had a few CRF's said you need the power bowl and accelerator pump. That's the trifecta that supposed to make it as close to ego as possible. As for the air box I'm doing it this week. Rode a new 2017 450x efi WOW !! Nice bike but 10000 for a bike I can't stomach that. That being said there is basically no air box on the new 17 ... you can see the air filter right behind the side plate .

8 hours ago, Topjimmy1973 said:

So not sure what exactly the wing is doing!! 

It lightens the bike by about $100 whenever you are on it...other than that?? Not much.

• Like 2

So not sure what exactly the wing is doing!! Was told by friend that had a few CRF's said you need the power bowl and accelerator pump. That's the trifecta that supposed to make it as close to ego as possible. As for the air box I'm doing it this week. Rode a new 2017 450x efi WOW !! Nice bike but 10000 for a bike I can't stomach that. That being said there is basically no air box on the new 17 ... you can see the air filter right behind the side plate .

Maybe the combination of the 2 do something??? I'm not sure. That's why I've never considered getting the powerwing.
You sure it wasn't a 450RX? Honda hasn't updated the CRF450X to EFI yet. And from my understand this new generation of 450Rs/RXs have a better designed air system so air isn't fighting to get into the air box, it just flows right in.