Easy, high WA single track for 70-yr-old dad getting back in the saddle

Pulled my dad's '77 Ty250 our of mothballs a few weeks ago, and spent a few rewarding afternoons getting it in riding order again. After a shakedown cruise at Walker Valley, we realized the old fella's not as steady on the wheels as he'd like to be. Now I'm looking for some nice, easy singletrack that will get us up into high Cascades--preferably east slope, via I-90 access. Grateful to hear any recommendations of places that aren't super busy and whooped out, where we can lay down some pretty easy miles and get some lovely views... Thanks! 

• Like 4

Go up 3100 to Quartz mountain, take Hereford meadows to Riders Camp. Take the lost lake trail to lost lake and Manastash lake then back. 

I thought of Manastash lake also, you will find whoops there though, that will be hard to avoid on easy trails along the I-90 corridor.

• Like 1

My suggestion is basically the "easiest" thing I could think of with awesome views. Let's face it though, for the most part, riding single track and double track, even places like Tahuya are potentially dangerous at about every turn. A person needs to have a good basic understanding of how to ride a bike, have the right kind of bike, set up the bike properly, and be in good enough physical shape to ride. I'm going to assume that "Pop" fits just about all of that but doesn't wanna start with "gnarly". I'd think otherwise the OP would ask for the coolest gravel roads in the area....which I know plenty of! Vroom, spray gravel, vroom!!!

Some pics from the route I suggested...

naches_092.JPG

naches_095.JPG

naches_104.JPG

naches_175.JPG

Manastash Lake below, Hereford Meadows trail top two, 3rd is the view from the peak of Quartz Mtn (accesible by car)

028.JPG

029.JPG

I've ridden the described route a couple times in the last 30 days. I thought it was pretty easy and enjoyable and not terribly whooped out. That said, a person needs to be at least a beginning intermediate rider. 

If I was to take my son up this way, is it obvious where to park the rig and start riding? I see you have a plated bike, and mine aren't.  Thanks for the tips.

Best

Edited by Newoldrider
spelling

14 hours ago, Newoldrider said:

If I was to take my son up this way, is it obvious where to park the rig and start riding? I see you have a plated bike, and mine aren't.  Thanks for the tips.

Best

LOL, yeah, there aren't many parking enforcement folks out there. There are all sorts of places to pull over. Quartz Mtn is way up there, pretty close to 6000 feet, it's a pretty easy gravel ride up there if you wanna just start at the top. 

I do believe there are some "easier" trails that start below and will take you up there too, but I'm usually not on that side of the slope. Perhaps someone can chime in on an easy up route from the Cle Elum side that ends up at Quartz Mtn, or the Riders Camp.  

I have both the National Geographic map of the area and the Yakima Sherrif's Map. I'd suggest finding one or both. The Nat Geo map of the area is #823 "Goat Rocks, Norse Peak..." 

This is great, y'all--thanks! Sounds like we have some consensus, and we'll do our best to get out here next week. And for the record, yes "Pops" has been down this trail before--he used to get around some of the gnarliest stuff out there on this bike in the '80s. Last ride we took ('92) was in Middle Fork of the Teanaway, up over Jolly Mountain, and back down. No Erzberg, but nothing to sneeze at. Will try to post some pictures when it's all said and donesies.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2017 at 7:53 AM, TigerTanker said:

naches_092.JPG

Sorry to interrupt @TigerTanker, but what handguards are those?

Hey there, @nonfiction, you better keep me in mind for an upcoming ride... I like these suggestions and am willing to tag along in the near future. We need to keep the mosquito population in check.

2 hours ago, pscook said:

Sorry to interrupt @TigerTanker, but what handguards are those?

Hey there, @nonfiction, you better keep me in mind for an upcoming ride... I like these suggestions and am willing to tag along in the near future. We need to keep the mosquito population in check.

They are Highway Dirt Bikes with the additional mirrors. The guards are unrivaled in quality and strength, and the mirrors work very well...much better than double take mirrors. Made in the USA, and the mount system allows you to add all sorts of switches and such....USB ports, Electric heated Grips, fuel lights, blinker signals...

I have their stuff on all three bikes. 040.JPG.10ef1e642482e0436807c5d43c5c06e8.JPG

Edited by TigerTanker

Well, we had a couple old bike issues so didn't feel confident to head east. We got out to Walker Valley and I wish I'd known some of the easier trails there. He rode through everything safely and claims to have had fun, but I'm still gonna do a better scout before our next ride. Or maybe we just take your word and hit the trails above! Thanks again.DadOnThePegs.thumb.jpg.10af6f72811c59c081fefe6265e18983.jpg

DadsNMyWips.jpg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, nonfiction said:

Well, we had a couple old bike issues so didn't feel confident to head east. We got out to Walker Valley and I wish I'd known some of the easier trails there. He rode through everything safely and claims to have had fun, but I'm still gonna do a better scout before our next ride. Or maybe we just take your word and hit the trails above! Thanks again.DadOnThePegs.thumb.jpg.10af6f72811c59c081fefe6265e18983.jpg

DadsNMyWips.jpg

Holy cow! Dads old bike? Old school cool as hell. But dad's got to put some armor on!

fyi. Capitol Forest in Olympia has nothing but moderate trails that don't have hidden dangerous stuff.  Great trails with lots of shade and is just a beautiful forest to boot. 

Don't forget the Naches Pass trail is now open.  That's pretty easy going. 

I had a TY250 with a seat on it.  Its a go anywhere bike. 

• Like 1