Picked up 1991 cr250 need lots of advice

Picked up a 1991 cr250 for 350$, gentlemen I bought it from rebuild an engine to race last year, never installed. All new bottom end parts that wear and new top end. Cases ported to match. Needs exhaust and clutch cable. Carb rebuilt with new jets and box of tons of other new parts from Honda. I imagine it's not going to be as easy as just putting motor on and going. What do I need to do before getting ready to kick this thing into running shape tuning wise, I work on early yz's with no power valve  ? Did I pay too much ? Ty for info 

IMG_3898.JPG

IMG_3900.JPG

IMG_3901.JPG

IMG_3903.JPG

IMG_3907.JPG

Looks good for $350, not bad in my opinion. The engine looks pretty good from what I can tell. You'll have to install it correctly and of course all the things that go with it, carb, electrical, etc. I myself just bought a cheap CR250 as well. I'm not sure about powervalves, but I've got the factory manual and can send pics if/when needed.

8 hours ago, ASP1227 said:

Looks good for $350, not bad in my opinion. The engine looks pretty good from what I can tell. You'll have to install it correctly and of course all the things that go with it, carb, electrical, etc. I myself just bought a cheap CR250 as well. I'm not sure about powervalves, but I've got the factory manual and can send pics if/when needed.

So this actually came with two original manuals, the guy I got it from said the only thing I may have to adjust is the timing. I've never adjusted timing on a dirt bike, then again I've only rebuilt top ends and clutches. There's timing on these bikes ? Last question I have is it didn't come with an expansion chamber. I have to find a fatty pipe for it.

FMF makes exhaust for it, so I think you'll be able to find something new for it. Timing is pretty simple to adjust, you'll need a dial gauge and maybe a screw driver. On your engine, the other cover, not the clutch, houses the stator. All you have to do is pull the cover and flywheel off and set the bike to top dead center, then loosen the three screws that hold the stator and align it to the correct timing marks. You'll need a flywheel puller, I believe it's a 27mm. I can send you pics of what the Honda service manual says. I'm in the same boat as you, I've only done top ends and clutches, but I'm actually going to do a full rebuild on my recently acquired '86 CR250.

Actually I think FMF makes a few pipes for it, so you may have some choices