Husky > H2O

Mitch should hire Zach's engine builder

That thing lasted 6 laps after spewing all the water out

Zach_Osborne.jpg

• Like 2

I bet the factory wants to look at that motor to see how parts held up.

Did he run into anyone at the start of the race?

Edited by Kev_XR

2 hours ago, meyermetal said:

Mitch should hire Zach's engine builder

That thing lasted 6 laps after spewing all the water out

That was impressive.  I was waiting for it to lock up, never happened.  He managed to hold off two riders as well, that was probably the best part of it.  Two guys with engines full of coolant couldn't get past him.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, redrider144 said:

That was impressive.  I was waiting for it to lock up, never happened.  He managed to hold off two riders as well, that was probably the best part of it.  Two guys with engines full of coolant couldn't get past him.  

As soon as I saw the steam I'm yelling at the TV but the SOB just kept going

Then I'm thinking Mitch has to be wondering how can it keep going. Hasn't he had 7 engine failures?

• Like 1

Sales are going to go up for sure. That was impressive especially at that level of performance and speed. Osborne did a great job keeping his composure and finishing that moto strong. Had to be demoralizing being behind Osborne while his bike is smoking and you can't catch him. 

• Like 2

I thought he said something about an oil leak?  Losing a little bit of oil, I could see.  Losing the coolant, I can't imagine the engine lasting the rest of the race.  

Looks like pretty thick smoke to be coolant, but maybe it is.  :excuseme:

He did say something about it spewing oil during the podium interview. Who knows if he actually meant oil... or even knows the difference between oil and coolant. 

• Like 3

My old '01 KTM 520SX, I lost the oil drain plug on it.

No idea how long I was riding, since I only noticed a problem after I stopped riding for a rest, and my boot was wet.   Tracks were dry, no mud.   
New drain plug, new oil, and I never had any issues with excessive metal on either of the two screens or two filters, and never had any "oil related" issues with the engine!

Modern engines are pretty tough....

Edited by DethWshBkr_
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, meyermetal said:

As soon as I saw the steam I'm yelling at the TV but the SOB just kept going

Then I'm thinking Mitch has to be wondering how can it keep going. Hasn't he had 7 engine failures?

It depends on what failed.  If it was the ECU, good luck fixing it by replacing the mechanic.   Didn't they say they had a new part that was failing?

Zach's bike obviously was belching steam, but after the water was all gone, the oil might have started boiling, foaming, and going out the breather tube next.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StretchASU said:

Mitch should just switch to Rotella. 

And... they're off!  

The screen capture from several years back... they were talking to Roger D in the KTM machine shop while he was carving out some custom bike parts... there's the bottle of secret sauce on the bench.

2011-10-11211632.JPG

Edited by ThumpNRed
  • Like 2

Either way the bike held up great especially at that level. Osborne salvaged the day and it's a testament to how those bikes are made. Guaranteed they sell more because of this. 

Fuel injection helps. As soon as the bike started running close to blow up it dumps an excessive amount of gas in cylinder to keep exhaust cooler.
At least that's what I've read.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 4

That was pretty Gnarly and surprising. You could see all the coolant boil off and towards the end you could see some smoke coming from the tail pipe on hard acceleration towards the end of the moto. I think at that point the rings were toast and it was burning oil, I am not a white KTM fan but I was pulling for him to finish. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThumpNRed said:

And... they're off!  

The screen capture from several years back... they were talking to Roger D in the KTM machine shop while he was carving out some custom bike parts... there's the bottle of secret sauce on the bench.

2011-10-11211632.JPG

He was obviously using the Rotella to cool down taps/bits etc. Motorex too valuable to waste on cutting oil...

Seriously though, whatever oil was in that husky is a good oil. A real nice petroleum :applause:

Edited by Casing-daily
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Casing-daily said:

He was obviously using the Rotella to cool down taps/bits etc. Motorex too valuable to waste on cutting oil...

Seriously though, whatever oil was in that husky is a good oil. A real nice petroleum :applause:

I disagree (cuz I can). They bathe the magic parts in the secret sauce from the time they are made until they are lovingly installed inside the engine. Once inside the engine, they continue to swim in the stuff. Pay no attention to what the stickers on the bikes would lead you to believe, they run Rotella in all their bikes. It's a good thing that Husky was bought by KTM so they could learn the secret... that is what saved Zach's bike. And so goes another chapter in the Rotella legend. :cool:

• Like 4