Hi guys,

I got a kx 85 2001 and i have a problem.. since i got it,  sometimes its hard to start but since 2 days, i've started it but died when i went for a ride and wouldnt start anymore.

So my problem : the bike crank but is really hard to start (if it start).. and if it start, it die.. and again hard to start.

-Spark is good, air filter is clean, jetting seems okay (needle look pointed and carb clean), after a lot a cranking the gas get out by the overflow of the carb (so i have gas with good ratio 40:1) and the motor was replaced recently at 135psi of compression. Another thing, a got spooge from the exhaust.

Now i am checking for the reed valve, they're not broken but i see a really little gap with my light and if i turn over the plate, its really worse. So do you think they were already turned by someone else ? Does a really little gap can cause a hard start/bogg like this? Should i change them for new ? Another idea on what i should look??

Thx !

Edited by Raph911

What's the plug look like? A new one would be a good start. Make sure fuel is getting into the bowl and the jets are clean. 

Not sure if the reeds would cause this ( I don't think it would) but if you flip them and there's still a gap it's time to change. Make sure they're seated correctly too. 

Thx For reply !

The plug is black... and after some cranking the plug look wet and the gas get out of the carb by the overflow...so i have gas that come in the cylinder .

And if i put the plug on the motor to see the spark, its a good spark !

I've tried a new plug 5 crank without starting so i putback the old one...

Im pretty sure that the carb is clean because i've ride it at least 2 week without any issue !

The only issue that i see is the little gap  at the reed valve... dont know what i should looking for after that..

Fuel should not be running out of the overflow tube/s. There is dirt in the fuel inlet or the float level is set wrong, or both. Try to get this issue corrected before anything else. 

No i havent tried to bump start... i could try when everything will be reinstalled.

But after a lot of crank no start, its not normal that the gas get out by the overflow ? I'll try to make a good clean of the carb and ajust float. Should i get a rebuilt kit? The needles looked like new...

Edited by Raph911

So, i've try the kick start at least 15time without starting... so i've try  push start and it worked. It's hard to start but i dont have bogg issue/fuel coming out of the carb.. now what should i check for a ''hard to start''??

-New plug and with the right gap

-New performance reed valve

-Carburetor cleaned and air screw at ''1 3/8'' turn

-Good gas at 40:1 with motul 2 stroke oil

-Air Filtre is clean

-Compression is good at 135psi

Edited by Raph911

Compression is getting low at 135psi. It should still run at that rating, but you need to get the float level set correctly to rule out a rich condition. If the compression reading you posted is accurate, that will only magnify a rich condition.