More power for my cr250

First thing would be a fresh top end and making sure the engine is within specs. (cylinder in good shape, no air leaks etc.)

second would be to fine tune the jetting, most will run richer than ideal 'just to be safe' but leave a lot of potential power behind.

A lot of 2T engines can benefit from measuring and correcting the compression squish band height,

allows leaner jetting for crisper throttle response but without the risk of detonation.

Off engine topic but very much related, 

most rather mod the engine in search of better straightaway speeds but refuse to service and tune their suspension

which plays a major role in putting the power down sooner rather than playing catch up down the straights.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 3

A friend I raced with back in the 90's had a 96.  He had a local tuner do some work.  The tuner shaved the head .020" & he raised the exhaust port 1mm if I recall.  It ran pretty strong with a fresh topend jetted to higher octane.  This was with a PC exhaust 13/50 gearing set up for MX use.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, H4L said:

A friend I raced with back in the 90's had a 96.  He had a local tuner do some work.  The tuner shaved the head .020" & he raised the exhaust port 1mm if I recall.  It ran pretty strong with a fresh topend jetted to higher octane.  This was with a PC exhaust 13/50 gearing set up for MX use.  

Sounds like one i got but got boyeson rad valve.  I use to race some badass yz250's.  and honestly this engine is as good if not better. Rips ? justtwist throttle and shift 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ScrewMx_Hd said:

might not be fat and might not be slow, but probably doesn't ride his bike to its full potential and isn't at the highest peak in physical shape.

Which of us on this forum are riding our bikes to their potential or are in top physical shape? If that's the criteria, we can ignore nearly all performance improvement questions.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cmjb said:

Which of us on this forum are riding our bikes to their potential or are in top physical shape? If that's the criteria, we can ignore nearly all performance improvement questions.

Use to and almost be :ride: but few years off racing and almost 40 . Not so much anymore lol planning on making return for +40A ? was tough racing 250 twostrokes against feild of 450s had to be in super shape 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Use to and almost be :ride: but few years off racing and almost 40 . Not so much anymore lol planning on making return for +40A ? was tough racing 250 twostrokes against feild of 450s had to be in super shape 

That's great! Some of us never were super fast and simply like improving our bikes whether we can use it or not.:ride:

didn't say everyone else on the forum is, the bike is most likely fast enough in stock form, having the muscle and strength to handle it will make it that much faster.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, cmjb said:

That's great! Some of us never were super fast and simply like improving our bikes whether we can use it or not.:ride:

Totally understand that but honestly engine work really isn't needed they are fast enough.  Get it set up so you're confident on it is much better.  A fresh engine and some good jetting goes long way.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2017 at 7:03 PM, Motox367 said:

Totally understand that but honestly engine work really isn't needed they are fast enough.  Get it set up so you're confident on it is much better.  A fresh engine and some good jetting goes long way.

engine mods can make them easier to ride even if you are not talented enough to use everything it's got. Depends on how it's being modded. After riding CR500s a fair bit I can't say as I've ridden a 250 that's too fast.... I have some pretty serious motors.

4 minutes ago, seanmx57 said:

engine mods can make them easier to ride even if you are not talented enough to use everything it's got. Depends on how it's being modded. After riding CR500s a fair bit I can't say as I've ridden a 250 that's too fast.... I have some pretty serious motors.

Ya same here then I got a feuly 450 :ride: 

• Like 1