I've been riding now with my husband for two years. I recently moved up to a 2004 Honda 250. Problem is now with a bigger bike, longer rides and learning to slid on the seat I'm now really uncomfortable. I have such bad chaffing...everywhere. I've tried everything I can think of! Even started stealing my husband's boxer briefs to ride in. What do the other women here do to help protect sensitive areas?! 

Not a woman but from experiences like that the best thing to do is learn stand up riding and only sit down when going to corners or turning. Stand up everywhere else especially on hill climbs. Learn rear brake control as well. 

• Like 3

Are you wearing a layer under your riding pants? I wear a yoga-style stretchy knee-length pant under my riding pants, and have never had any chaffing. I can bet that the heavy seams on most riding pants would cause blisters in just a little while if no layer is worn between them.

• Like 1

Dblracer I haven't tried ones so long but I have ridden in my spandex from volleyball. They hit at the top of the thigh. This did not help too much.

My only other thought would be that your riding pants might not fit you right. If they are either too loose and slop around or so tight they can't move with you, they'd cause a problem. I've tried several pair over the years, but end up going back to one or two brands in men's sizes.  I also wear knee guards and the hip pads that come with the pants. Bulky, but worth the protection in my opinion. No pant-to-skin contact happening with all those layers. Try a few different pairs if you can borrow them for a day, both mens and womens, and see if it's just the pair you have that's causing the problem.

I thought about you yesterday while I was riding. I'm wondering why you're sliding on the seat. Teach me something if maybe I'm not riding as well as I could, but I don't slide around too much on my seat. Generally I stay pretty much in one spot which is on the front part of the seat. I move side to side on some tight corners to shift my weight. I also slide back on the seat occasionally when I need more traction, but not very often. I try to hug the bike with my knees whether I'm standing or sitting as much as possible. Why do you slide around on the seat (I always want to improve my riding)?

If the chafing is somewhere where this will work, you might try white climbing tape. It's similar to tape that you can buy in the first aid section of the pharmacy about 2" wide and used to tape up sprained ankles, fingers, wrists, etc. when doing sports. The pharmacy tape is painful to remove, but the climbing tape is not. I've used it to prevent chafing and blisters when hiking and on my knees when I had new knee pads.

I just wear my undies while riding as anything else is way too hot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ThumperTalk mobile app

I am sliding on the seat as a turn or I slide back if I need to get traction on the rear wheel. Most the the riding that we do around here is single track with lots of turns so I'm throwing my body weight around pretty often. I just moved up to the bigger bike and I am trying to get more comfortable standing up but I don't have the confidence yet to stand over rocky areas. Between sliding and all the bumps I'm a sore mess for a day or two after getting home. 

The tape sounds like a great idea for hiking and the knee pads, unfortunately I don't think it's going to work well with what is getting chaffed now.

Haha yup. I'll get some riding shorts and hopefully that helps, they have some with padding for bycicles. Worth a shot!

That's a good idea! Where are you from?

I'm from Reno, NV

Ah, great mountain riding and desert riding. Lucky you. If you're ever in Montana, look me up. Also let us know if your bike shorts work.

I wear ankle length under amour type leggings but made for riding. Can't recall the name off hand but have really helped. I wear knee braces, hip shorts and such under MX gear and have had no chafing.

I race Supermoto and slide all over the seat and only get to stand in the dirt section so I needed something and have found this really helps. 

CB,

Anti Monkey Butt powder (I know your laughing your ass off, but take it from on old Harescrambler it does work!!!!).

Lift the back of whatever undies, shorts, etc. you got on and dump a "good shake" or two of the container down there.

donO

Friend of mine is developing a female pad for this problem. It’s being tested now. I’ll keep ya posted!

• Like 1

Something I thought of off the top of my head is that you could wear a pair of road biking shorts (yes the skin tight Lycra). They have a fairly decent size pad in them that helps prevent chaffing on long bike rides. In addition to the pad, the skin tight shorts will also prevent your riding pants from rubbing on your skin completely. It might be worth a try.

EDIT: I just saw you were already looking into getting a pair of bike shorts. Hope it works :thumbsup:.

Edited by Thefischerman

Something I thought of off the top of my head is that you could wear a pair of road biking shorts (yes the skin tight Lycra). They have a fairly decent size pad in them that helps prevent chaffing on long bike rides. In addition to the pad, the skin tight shorts will also prevent your riding pants from rubbing on your skin completely. It might be worth a try.

That’s what I do I wear a pair of padded bicycle shorts and under the padded bicycle shorts I wear the booty lift panties with the padding in the butt cheeks you can get them at Walmart for like 20 bucks

On 5/28/2018 at 5:18 PM, cinisterpictures said:

Coming in very late here, but can you re- countour the foam on the seat so its more narrow and doesnt chafe you as much?

Not a good idea.

Look in the mens section for riding shorts. I grabbed a few pairs and my wife uses them. They have hip and butt protection, they also have a pad that runs between the legs for those extra sensitive parts on men/women. She has no complaints, and like OP, she tends to sit a lot and take a lot of "Hit" down there. 

I find my butt hurts if I ride so long I get tired, as I end up sitting a lot. Stand more when possible, especially rocks and bumpy areas.

She has no complaints as far as her lady parts ever since she got the shorts. Check Rocky Mountain or motosport. I think they were 30 bucks a pair.