Back from the dead CRF250X

Bought this 2005 CRF250X last month for 1000.00.

Bike was in rough shape to say the least. Looked like at one time the bike was taken care of with a lot of aftermarket parts but the last guy didn't do anything to it.  Engine checked out fine but the clutch was slipping, back brake didn't work, header was smashed, and all the plastic was broke in some way.  Tore the entire bike down and cleaned the motor and the frame and got busy.

All bearings replaced in the suspension and wheels

Chain rollers all replaced

Forks rebuilt with seals, bushings and new oil as well as the damper and upper tubes replaced due to corrosion. (I will post a disturbing pic of those tomorrow)

Wiring harness replaced. (They had spliced into it so much)

Header replaced.

All brakes bled, coolant replaced, and oil.

Clutch and clutch cover as the stock had a crank in it.

Chain and sprockets replaced.

Carb disassembled and cleaned.

Plastics replaced.

Seat cover replaced.

Graphics added.

Put another 1000.00 into it and it came out quite nice.  My kid will ride it. 

Before and after below.

19114792_857049227782168_452473333_n.jpg

20170723_190556.jpg

Edited by Z06PSI
  • Like 2

Aftermarket stuff already on the bike when I bought it. 

Pro Circuit pipe

Warp 9 wheels and hubs (Look like blems)

Pro Taper bars and mounts

Scotts damper

Boyssen power valve

Carbon frame guards

Scotts rear disc fin

Aluminum skid plate

Radiator guards 

Just a bunch of parts that just needed to be cleaned. 

• Like 2

Anyone ever see forks do this?  I am guessing the bike was stored outside and this is just the salt air attacking them. 

20170722_151722.jpg

20170722_151730.jpg

1 hour ago, Z06PSI said:

Anyone ever see forks do this?  I am guessing the bike was stored outside and this is just the salt air attacking them. 

20170722_151722.jpg

20170722_151730.jpg

A an aquaintance's CRF450R grenaded on a beach  ride. A while back.  His forks went a similar way. He mustve been too much of a slob to clean it properly on his return.

At first he had a rolling chassis that could have had a new engine fitted, or parted. Now he has nothing left of value due to pure laziness.

1 hour ago, Z06PSI said:

Bought this 2005 CRF250X last month for 1000.00.

Bike was in rough shape to say the least. Looked like at one time the bike was taken care of with a lot of aftermarket parts but the last guy didn't do anything to it.  Engine checked out fine but the clutch was slipping, back brake didn't work, header was smashed, and all the plastic was broke in some way.  Tore the entire bike down and cleaned the motor and the frame and got busy.

All bearings replaced in the suspension and wheels

Chain rollers all replaced

Forks rebuilt with seals, bushings and new oil as well as the damper and upper tubes replaced due to corrosion. (I will post a disturbing pic of those tomorrow)

Wiring harness replaced. (They had spliced into it so much)

Header replaced.

All brakes bled, coolant replaced, and oil.

Clutch and clutch cover as the stock had a crank in it.

Chain and sprockets replaced.

Carb disassembled and cleaned.

Plastics replaced.

Seat cover replaced.

Graphics added.

Put another 1000.00 into it and it came out quite nice.  My kid will ride it. 

Before and after below.

19114792_857049227782168_452473333_n.jpg

20170723_190556.jpg

You did a very good job.

Nice work and bike.. enjoy.

• Like 3

Wow!  Way to go.  That must have been an immensely satisfying job to complete.  Really nice work.  The added benefit is you now know the bike inside and out!

Nice save....great job on that!:thumbsup:

Those tubes are amazing....when you said "corrosion", I was thinking like rust spots.  Those things have been eaten away.

Jim.

I'm not much on fancy looks / graphics myself but really like the looks of those radiator shrouds!

Wheels look great as well.

You mention refurbishing the forks seals,

just a heads up if ever you find their performance mushy on sharp hits,

those design Showa TC47's more often than not prematurely wear out the ICS piston seals and lower cartridge rod seals.

Both bikes from that era ('07 & '08) I've revalved and regularly service had blown seals which allowed air into the cartridge assy.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mlatour said:

I'm not much on fancy looks / graphics myself but really like the looks of those radiator shrouds!

Wheels look great as well.

You mention refurbishing the forks seals,

just a heads up if ever you find their performance mushy on sharp hits,

those design Showa TC47's more often than not prematurely wear out the ICS piston seals and lower cartridge rod seals.

Both bikes from that era ('07 & '08) I've revalved and regularly service had blown seals which allowed air into the cartridge assy.

Thanks everyone!!!!  It took me 3 weekends to do it all. 

I took the forks all the way down and other than the fluid they (seals and bushings) looked pretty good. The dust seal was obliterated but internally they looked o.k.  I just went ahead and replaced everything anyways. 

That a cool looking bike great job ,i like the grphix .Never seen those wheels b4 they are really good looking ..The fork tube look like battery acid corrosion  never seen it so bad 

3 hours ago, twigster said:

That a cool looking bike great job ,i like the grphix .Never seen those wheels b4 they are really good looking ..The fork tube look like battery acid corrosion  never seen it so bad 

So the wheels are interesting.  They look like blems from Warp9.  The front wheel is black on the left side and a bronze color on the right side.  The rear wheel is bronze on both sides.

It literally looks like a horrible, horrible anodizing that went way wrong.  But it looks good. :thumbsup: 

22 hours ago, twigster said:

Same thought, looks like something got on them due to the pattern. Corrosion wouldn't be so defined.