2015 ktm 250 exc problems?

Hi

i have just bought a 2015 ktm 250 exc and i love it! however i have an issue with it not starting on E-start.

when i try electric start it the bike turns but wont start. if i put it in gear the bike pulls forward so the motor is engaging and even when the bike is warmed up it still wont work.

also the bike will start from cold even without the choke on, is this normal?

has anyone any idea as to what could be causing it not to electric start i have tried with a charger on the battery and it still wont start.

Thanks 

27 minutes ago, Cdurkan said:

Hi

i have just bought a 2015 ktm 250 exc and i love it! however i have an issue with it not starting on E-start.

when i try electric start it the bike turns but wont start. if i put it in gear the bike pulls forward so the motor is engaging and even when the bike is warmed up it still wont work.

also the bike will start from cold even without the choke on, is this normal?

has anyone any idea as to what could be causing it not to electric start i have tried with a charger on the battery and it still wont start.

Thanks 

Unfortunately the 08 to 16? KTM starter system is an underperformer. There are several maintenance items that may need attention, as.well as some worthwhile mods to look into.

As for starting without choke. Your pilot circuit could be too rich.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. 

Any chance you could point me in the right direction of what to start looking at to narrow down the problem? 

Also could it be a cast of just adjusting the air/fuel screw to lean it or is it better to change the pilot jet? 

Cheers 

4 minutes ago, Cdurkan said:

Thanks for your reply. 

Any chance you could point me in the right direction of what to start looking at to narrow down the problem? 

Also could it be a cast of just adjusting the air/fuel screw to lean it or is it better to change the pilot jet? 

Cheers 

I dont want to give overly specific advice for jetting, cause I dont know what conditions are where you ride. At the moment it would be warm(er) right? as we are in winter here in Aus.

Maybe the bike is still jetted for winter, and I would say the pilot is a good place to start looking. 

What's your Temp in Celsius? Elevation? current pilot and needle?

As for the E start, bendix, cooked motors, siezed up motors. 

thanks

i will check the jetting against what KTM recommend for where i am and the temperature as it should get me near.

and i will check the e start for them. i have read that if the bike is running rich this can also effect the electric start, is this true?

FWIW, if it is starting well with kick-start, it is possible the e-start motor is weak and simply not cranking it fast enough.  This can be from a weak battery or starter motor.  I put a fresh battery in mine and it cranked much faster.  If that doesn't help, new starters are on ebay for $120? and the one I have has lasted quite a while.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cdurkan said:

thanks

i will check the jetting against what KTM recommend for where i am and the temperature as it should get me near.

and i will check the e start for them. i have read that if the bike is running rich this can also effect the electric start, is this true?

If it is a bitch to get lit up then yes, if it still starts easily without the choke Id say no. I cant be much help with the E start stuff, I ride a kick only 200EXC.

Definitely start with KTM's how to jet manual for now. If you want it more crisp you can use a Suzuki needle. Eliminates the bog off the bottom they seem to have if you have the right pilot. Or you can jet to get rid of bog and have a big pilot.

thanks mate

i have ordered a new lithiumion battery for it so i will see where it goes from there. its starts first kick no problems with the kickstart, without choke, so i will look into trying to lean it out a bit.