2009 CRF450R issue?

Over the weekend I found a great deal on an 09, I've researched all I can find on the bike and it seems to have a few known common problems. My question is does my issue fall into one of those categories.. so all the bike has done to it is a high compression piston with about 20 hours to my knowledge. I'm coming off an 03 crf450 and to be honest it felt faster. I know the 09 was a dog up top and it certainly felt that way when I rode it. However a little later I was revving the bike just kinda checking things out and I noticed it seemed to cut out for about 2-3 seconds before it hit the limiter. Is this something to worry about? I haven't noticed it cut out when actually riding but I'm wondering if this could make my top end extra doggish. Could this be a fuel pump problem? Would a remap help? Thanks in advance

On 7/25/2017 at 4:04 AM, Nate_YZ426F said:

Well, figured it out. Timing chain jumped a tooth, adjust that and it's a whole new bike. Not exactly the dog I had heard about in the motor department

I had read the mx mags & thought the same thing about the 09 till I purchased a used one in 2011.  I was coming off 05-08 CRF450r's & to my surprise after a remap it was a different engine.  With a pipe & remap it is a much better engine then what it comes from the showroom floor.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiOi8rV66zVAhXrs1QKHSLpAMsQFggmMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmotocrossactionmag.com%2Fbike-tests%2Fhonda-tests%2Fwe-test-2009-honda-crf450-exhaust-systems-dr-d-pro-circuit-fmf-yoshimura-vance-hines-and-stock-get-the-dyno-sound-and-powerband-treatment&usg=AFQjCNEoq-Os2S0mWGyb9UzayNYnx0-2gA

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I had read the mx mags & thought the same thing about the 09 till I purchased a used one in 2011.  I was coming off 05-08 CRF450r's & to my surprise after a remap it was a different engine.  With a pipe & remap it is a much better engine then what it comes from the showroom floor.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiOi8rV66zVAhXrs1QKHSLpAMsQFggmMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmotocrossactionmag.com%2Fbike-tests%2Fhonda-tests%2Fwe-test-2009-honda-crf450-exhaust-systems-dr-d-pro-circuit-fmf-yoshimura-vance-hines-and-stock-get-the-dyno-sound-and-powerband-treatment&usg=AFQjCNEoq-Os2S0mWGyb9UzayNYnx0-2gA

Just had the pleasure of riding after installing a full rs-4 system. Different bike.. looooads of power. I can't wait to get a remap to match, thisay be the best bike I've ever owned

Sent from my E6810 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nate_YZ426F said:

Just had the pleasure of riding after installing a full rs-4 system. Different bike.. looooads of power. I can't wait to get a remap to match, thisay be the best bike I've ever owned

Yup.  Also running an RS-4 full system on a 10 model with a remap to match the exhaust.  It's a different engine with more power everywhere especially in the upper rpm range.  With the oem exhaust / map the 09-12's are choked up & feel like the engine doesn't breath well.  With those upgrades & better suspension settings from the showroom floor I believe they would have won the mx mag shoot outs.   During those years they were the lightest best turning 450's vs. the other brands.  

Edited by H4L

Yup.  Also running an RS-4 full system on a 10 model with a remap to match the exhaust.  It's a different engine with more power everywhere especially in the upper rpm range.  With the oem exhaust / map the 09-12's are choked up & feel like the engine doesn't breath well.  With those upgrades & better suspension settings from the showroom floor I believe they would have won the mx mag shoot outs.   During those years they were the lightest best turning 450's vs. the other brands.  

I think with these updates it's very competitive with modern 450s. Atleast at the level of riding I do, it can actually out motor other brands now.

6 hours ago, Nate_YZ426F said:

I think with these updates it's very competitive with modern 450s. Atleast at the level of riding I do, it can actually out motor other brands now.

The 09-12 models are truly underrated.   With the pipe & remap their about 3 hp off the 17 450 models. They have better hop up potential than the carb models with head port work.  

In 2012 I rode an 11 CRF450r with a full Yoshimura engine package that was rated at about 62 hp with FC suspension that was dialed.  It is the fastest 450 I've ridden to date & really opened up my eyes to the potential of these bikes.  

I still own the 10, but seriously contemplating picking up an 18 CRF450r. Curious to see the adavancements that Honda has made from the 1st gen efi models.  

The 09-12 models are truly underrated.   With the pipe & remap their about 3 hp off the 17 450 models. They have better hop up potential than the carb models with head port work.  
In 2012 I rode an 11 CRF450r with a full Yoshimura engine package that was rated at about 62 hp with FC suspension that was dialed.  It is the fastest 450 I've ridden to date & really opened up my eyes to the potential of these bikes.  
I still own the 10, but seriously contemplating picking up an 18 CRF450r. Curious to see the adavancements that Honda has made from the 1st gen efi models.  

Nice! So with a high compression piston, full yosh system and a remap I'll be in the 55-56 hp ballpark! I would love to ride/own a new one but the wallet won't permit. Coming off an 03 I have to say I love the way this bike feels.. especially in the air. The motor isn't just potent now either it's a great all around motor.. I think you're correct on the underrated statement. This bike is getting leaps and bounds better after every upgrade.

1 hour ago, Nate_YZ426F said:

Nice! So with a high compression piston, full yosh system and a remap I'll be in the 55-56 hp ballpark! 

With a higher comp. piston it will generally yield a couple of ponies.  It's possible your in the 17 model range if your 09 engine is fresh.  

1 hour ago, Shawn_Mc said:

With a good map, a good open exhaust and a 13.5:1 piston, the 09 should be able to scare you. The 09 has the 50mm injector body. Most guys sleeved it down 46mm for ridability. But when its tuned up and open...it can really stretch the arms.

That's one of the reasons I went with a left over 10 model instead of the 12 in the spring of that year (Also saved about $2,500 OTD in the process).   The 09-10's have the 50mm TB & they went to a 46mm TB in 2011 to current models.  With an opened up exhaust they have a very good topend overev.     

• Like 1