Ergonomics/body position

Hey guys I've been thinking about making a few changes to my bike when I get a chance and was looking for some input.

I'm 6'1 and weigh about 195... and ride a 14 yz450f. C level rider. It seems like I feel really awkward when I stand on my bike. I am assuming more time will make this better but I was wondering if you guys had any input. I've been looking at maybe some foot pegs that will be a bit lower than stock so I don't feel as tall over the bike? Anything else that might help? Change in positioning maybe?

i uploaded two pics of me riding which is about all I have right now. 

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

Those pics are both over jumps so it's hard to tell if the positioning is the same while on the ground.  If that is how you ride (on the ground) while standing, my suggestion would be to try to bend more at the hips and get your back more parallel with the ground.  Head over the front plate and butt back near the fender, back straight as possible and somewhat "flat".  Your knees look like they are already squeezing the bike correctly and balls of the feet on the pegs, solid there.  If you are doing things correctly your elbows should be somewhat closer to 90 deg bend as well.  Might be a good mental check/cue.  I'm not as tall as you but at 5'11" am taller than average, and I think the above makes me feel more "compact" and lower/tighter to the bike.  If I'm too upright I feel very top heavy.

But yeah other than that type of positioning, lower pegs may help.  A lot of taller guys complain about Yamahas feeling cramped and opt for lower pegs, but I always get leery of them getting hung up in ruts or even my heels hitting the ground on G outs or big rollers.

Check pretty much any photo of Dungey in a standing position and you'll see what I was referring to above.

051617_motor_dungey_retirement.vadapt.76

(Or Reed for that matter)

Reed-2016SDSX-A-01162016.jpg

Edited by Tankslap
  • Like 1

Those pics are both over jumps so it's hard to tell if the positioning is the same while on the ground.  If that is how you ride (on the ground) while standing, my suggestion would be to try to bend more at the hips and get your back more parallel with the ground.  Head over the front plate and butt back near the fender, back straight as possible and somewhat "flat".  Your knees look like they are already squeezing the bike correctly and balls of the feet on the pegs, solid there.  If you are doing things correctly your elbows should be somewhat closer to 90 deg bend as well.  Might be a good mental check/cue.  I'm not as tall as you but at 5'11" am taller than average, and I think the above makes me feel more "compact" and lower/tighter to the bike.  If I'm too upright I feel very top heavy.
But yeah other than that type of positioning, lower pegs may help.  A lot of taller guys complain about Yamahas feeling cramped and opt for lower pegs, but I always get leery of them getting hung up in ruts or even my heels hitting the ground on G outs or big rollers.
Check pretty much any photo of Dungey in a standing position and you'll see what I was referring to above.
051617_motor_dungey_retirement.vadapt.767.high_.0.jpg
(Or Reed for that matter)
Reed-2016SDSX-A-01162016.jpg.446b2d2ef057ad3a71018afc447a2141.jpg

Nice... thank you I will have to try that out tomorrow when I head out to the track.
  • Like 2

It seems like it'll take some getting used to but that feels so much more natural to ride lower to the bike when standing up. I think the pics I posted were a little exaggerated but I definitely wasn't quite at 90 degrees at the elbow.

Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

Sorry to bump an old thread but I figured the topic is the same so might as well just post in here.

I got a friend out to record some video of me riding. I feel like I look decent but I know there are some ares I can improve on too. It would be cool for some people who know how to ride to check these videos out and maybe give me some pointers?

The one jump that I go way nose high I'm trying to figure out if that's because of the jump face, my suspension set up, or my technique. It seems to happen every time I hit that particular jump. I'm worried that one time I won't be able to bring it back down.

Sorry about all the slo mo as well.