Remove OEM decals

New DRZ 400SM owner.  Just starting w it....

Any suggestions on how to safely &easily remove the factory stickers? Tank & plastics.

Can anyone point to some info on a good quality wrap material?, & how to?

Considering the condition of the tank and plastics you can come out way ahead (if condition is really good) by selling the originals and buying the base color you want.

Also the graphics on the tank are under the clear coat.

• Like 2

I would keep the stock plactics with the graphics. Buy a set of rtec plastics off of eBay. They make them in black or white for 80 bucks. Then wrap those or get a graphics kit. Your going to abuse your plastics no matter what you do. They make kits that come with a wrap to cover the stock tank graphics. If you want to remove the factory warning stickers use a heat gun. Just be careful and don't over heat the plastics or metal. It doesn't take much heat for them to come off.

• Like 2

I just used my fingernail and started at a corner, no issues... came off fairly wasily, and without residue....

I don't have a stock tank though, I have heard the graphics on it are under paint.

I do want to get some AMR graphics at some point

On 7/24/2017 at 11:01 AM, Denim said:

New DRZ 400SM owner.  Just starting w it....

Any suggestions on how to safely &easily remove the factory stickers? Tank & plastics.

Can anyone point to some info on a good quality wrap material?, & how to?

Keep the stock stuff as is from the factory. One sticker cost about $50 USD, pulling them off and making it yours is going to cost you.

I would buy new plastics and a new tank/larger tank and keep the stock stuff for when you want to sell the bike. And taking the factory decals off is like removing any sticker. Soak it in glass cleaner or something to loosen up the glue and go to town. Use your finger nail is you dont feel confident using a razor blade. I used a blade and didn't leave a mark but you only need to get a little bit off to work the rest off. You can use heat aswell.